Electric field of a charged dielectric sphere

In summary: I think you can solve this problem using the Legendre polynomials, but I don't think it is worth your time to do so. You have enough to do in the problem as it is. The problem of a dielectric sphere in a uniform electric field, which is what we need to work from here, has a simple solution that can be arrived at in a couple of stages. As it turns out, you can solve the problem by using the Legendre polynomials, but I think it is very difficult to solve for the charge distribution on the dielectric sphere using this method. Instead of trying to solve for this charge distribution, it is much easier to use an educated guess and then confirm the
One aspect involved in a dielectric sphere is the medium used in the dielectric, because of that... spacing between two conductors that are on each side of the dielectric sphere are critical, the dielectric is a transmitter of electric force, ( voltage ) between the two conductors... Placing a charge on the inside of a dielectric sphere would require a conductor that is less than the size of the dielectric sphere it's self . The smaller conductor inside the dielectric sphere would allow a different charge potential as compared to the conductor that is on the outside of the dielectric sphere.

Physics news on Phys.org
Charles Link said:
@1v1Dota2RightMeow Please see my posts #34 and #35 above.

Ah, darn! I thought I was right! I already turned in the assignment, but once my professor hands it back I will review where I made a mistake!