Sphere-with-non-uniform-charge-density ρ= k/r

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a sphere with non-uniform charge density. The original poster is trying to find the constant k for a given radius and charge, and is using Gauss's Law to find the electric field inside and outside the sphere. Another user points out an error in their equation and suggests starting from the integral form of Gauss's Law to find k. The conversation also touches on the expected behavior of the electric field outside the distribution.
Taxi1337
I am working on the same problem as a previous post, but he already marked it as answered and did not post a solution.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/sphere-with-non-uniform-charge-density.938117/

Bonewheel said:

1. Homework Statement

A sphere of radius R carries charge Q. The distribution of the charge inside the sphere, however, is not homogeneous, but decreasing with the distance r from the center, so that ρ(r) = k/r.

1. Find k for given R and Q.

2. Using Gauss’s Law (differential or integral form), find the electric field E inside the sphere, i.e., for r < R.

Homework Equations

[tex]\int_V \rho \, dV = Q[/tex]
[tex]\oint \vec E \cdot d \vec A = \frac {Q_{enclosed}} {\epsilon_0}[/tex]
[tex]\vec {\nabla} \cdot \vec E = \frac {\rho} {{\epsilon}_0}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1. [tex]\int_V \rho \, dV = \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \int_{0}^R \frac k r r^2 \sin \theta \, dr \, d \theta \, d \phi = 2 k \pi R^2 = Q[/tex]
The units check out here.

Here's where I ran into a problem. I tried using both the differential and integral forms of Gauss's Law, and in both cases the r canceled out, leaving me with an expression for the electric field I know is wrong. Oddly, the units work out here as well.

[tex]\oint \vec E \cdot d \vec A = 4 \pi r^2 E = \frac {Q_{enclosed}} {\epsilon_0} = \frac {2 k \pi r^2} {{\epsilon}_0} [/tex]
[tex]\vec {\nabla} \cdot \vec E = \frac 1 {r^2} \frac {\partial} {\partial r}(r^2 E_r)= \frac {\rho} {{\epsilon}_0} = \frac k {r {{\epsilon}_0}}[/tex]
[tex]E = \frac k {2{{\epsilon}_0}}[/tex]

Thank you so much for any help! Please let me know if you need any further information or edits for clarification.

I am curious as to a method of finding the ##k## and substituting into the electric field. I tried this way.

$$ρ=\frac {k} {r}\,\,\,\,\,\,(1) $$
$$ρ=q \cdot (Volume)\,\,\,\,\,\,(2)$$
$$ρ=ρ\,\,\,\,\,\,\,(3)$$
$$\frac {k} {r}=q \cdot (Volume)\,\,\,\,\,\,(4)$$
$$k=q \cdot {(Volume)} \cdot r\,\,\,\,\,\,(5)$$
$$k=q \cdot {4 \pi r^2} \cdot r\,\,\,\,\,\,(6)$$
$$k=q \cdot {4 \pi r^3}\,\,\,\,\,\,(7)$$
then substitute ##k## from into ##E=\frac {k} {2 ε} \,\,\,\,\,\,(8)##
$$E_{inside}=\frac {q \cdot {4 \pi r^3}} {2 ε}\,\,\,\,\,\,(9)$$
Finally
$$E_{inside}=\frac {2 { \pi q}} {ε} r^3\,\,\,\,\,\,(10) $$
which goes like
$$E_{inside}= r^3\,\,\,\,\,\,(11) $$

Question-3.png

When I plot the electric field for the inside and outside I get ( i took all the constants as =1 for the graph)
for ##figure A## I plotted equation ##(8)## ( i took all the constants as =1 for the graph) so ##E=1##
for ##figure B## i plotted equation ##(11)##.

What is interesting to me is if I solve for ##k## and substitute into ##(8)## It makes a large difference in ##E_{inside}##. BUT when I solve for ##k## for the outside i still get an equation that goes like ##E_{outside}=\frac {1} {r^2}\,\,\,(12)##.

I found $$E_{outside}=\frac {k \cdot {4 R^2}} {2 ε r^2}\,\,(13)$$ and when I plug in ##k=q \cdot {4 \pi R^3}\,\,(14)## into ##(13)## i get $$E_{outside}=\frac {q \cdot {4 \pi R^3} \cdot {4 R^2}} {2 ε r^2}=\frac {q \cdot {\pi } \cdot {R^5}} {2 ε r^2}\,\,(15)$$

where in ##(15)## it still goes like ##\frac {1}{r^2}## no matter if i put in ##k## or not.

Thank you for your help, any input big or small is appreciated. It doesn't have to be elaborate.
Jared

Attachments

• Question-3.png
    Question-3.png
    9.8 KB · Views: 2,401
Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation (2) is incorrect and so is are the equations that follow because they are based on it. If nothing else ##k## is a constant therefore it cannot depend ##r## (a variable) as you show in equation (7). To do find ##k##, start from ##Q=\int \rho~dV##, do the integral with ##\rho=k/r## and solve for ##k##. See "Attempt at a solution, part 1" in the thread that you referenced.

On another note, why are you surprised that the electric field goes as ##1/r^2## outside the distribution? What does Gauss's law say about the field outside a spherical distribution of total charge ##Q##?

Last edited:
Likes Taxi1337
kuruman said:
Your equation (2) is incorrect and so is what it results in, equation (7). If nothing else ##k## is a constant therefore it cannot depend ##r## which is a variable. To do find ##k##, start from ##Q=\int \rho~dV##, do the integral with ##\rho=k/r## and solve for ##k##. See "Attempt at a solution, part 1" in the thread that you referenced.

$$\int_V \rho \, dV = \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{\pi} \int_{0}^r \frac k r r^2 \sin \theta \, dr \, d \theta \, d \phi = 2 k \pi r^2 = q\,\,\,\,\,\, (16) $$
$$ q=2 k \pi r^2 \,\,\,\,\,\, (17) $$

solving for ##k## from ##(17)##

##k=\frac {q} {2 \pi r^2} \,\,\,\,(18)##
Plugin in ##(18)## into ##(8)##

$$E_{inside}=\frac {q} {2 \pi r^2} \cdot \frac {1} {2ε}=\frac {q} {4\pi r^2} \cdot \frac {1} {ε}\,\,\,\,(19)$$

and for ##E_{outside}=\frac {k \cdot {4 R^2}} {2 ε r^2}\,\,(13)## and when I substitute

##k=q \cdot {4 \pi R^3}\,\,(14)## into ##(13)## i get $$E_{outside}=\frac {q \cdot {4 \pi R^3} \cdot {4 R^2}} {2 ε r^2}=\frac {q \cdot {\pi } \cdot {R^5}} {2 ε r^2}\,\,(15)$$

kuruman said:
On another note, why are you surprised that the electric field goes as ##1/r^2## outside the distribution? What does Gauss's law say about the field outside a spherical distribution of total charge ##Q##?
Sorry that i was not clear on my concern, its not that I am surprised that that out side the sphere of radius ##R## has a ##E## that goes like the inverse square law. I am surprised that when I solve for ##k## for both ##E_{outside}## and ##E_{outside}## only ##E_{inside}## changes relation of ##r## and ##E_{outside}## has the same relation of ##\frac {1} {r^2}##

tldr; ##E_{outside}## is fine, i expect the field to look like a point charge.
##E_{inside}## is what bothers me here.

3. Lastly, which of the figures is correct in my first post?

thank you Kuruman for your help

1. You still don't get it. Equation (18) is incorrect. Parameter ##k## is constant and cannot depend on ##r##. This is how you do it step by step.
a. Find constant ##k## using ##\int_V \rho \, dV =Q##, where ##Q## is the total charge as given by the problem.
b. Find the enclosed charge ##q_{enc}## enclosed by a Gaussian sphere of radius ##r##. That would be equation (16), ##q_{enc}=2k\pi r^2## in which ##k## is replaced by the value you found for it in the previous step.
c. Use Gauss's law ##\int E_{inside}dA=q_{enc}/\epsilon_0## to find the electric field inside.

Taxi1337 said:
Sorry that i was not clear on my concern, its not that I am surprised that that out side the sphere of radius ##R## has a ##E## that goes like the inverse square law. I am surprised that when I solve for kk for both ##E_{outside}## and ##E_{outside}## only ##E_{inside}## changes relation of ##r## and ##E_{outside}## has the same relation of ##\frac {1} {r^2}##
I see. That will go away when you proceed as I outlined above and you find a constant value for ##k##.
Taxi1337 said:
3. Lastly, which of the figures is correct in my first post?
That will be obvious when you do it right as I already explained.

Likes Taxi1337
So the plot I'm getting is
Question-3.png
, which is what I got all along (just not in terms of the constants ##Q_{total}## and ##R^2## ) . This question has bothered me a long time because I cannot think of anything where the electric field is constant and not a function of radius inside of a solid sphere. are there any examples that are observed in nature or experimentally?

I followed your step by step directions to get to where I am. Being more careful of my notation of ##Q_{total}## and ##q_{enclosed}## , the domain when I am integrating over gaussian surface ##r##, vs. the entire radius of the sphere, ##R## also the order of my steps.

kuruman said:
a. Find constant ##k## using ##\int_V \rho \, dV =Q##, where ##Q## is the total charge as given by the problem.

$$\int_V \rho \, dV =Q_{total}$$
$$2 k \pi R^2 =Q_{total}$$
$$ k = \frac {Q_{total}} {2 \pi R^2}$$

kuruman said:
b. Find the enclosed charge ##q_{enc}## enclosed by a Gaussian sphere of radius ##r##. That would be equation (16), ##q_{enc}=2k\pi r^2##
$$\int_V \rho \, dV =q_{enclosed}$$
$$2k\pi r^2=q_{enclosed}$$

kuruman said:
in which ##k## is replaced by the value you found for it in the previous step.

$$2 \frac {Q_{total}} {2 \pi R^2} \pi r^2 =q_{enclosed}$$
$$ \frac {Q_{total}} {R^2} r^2 =q_{enclosed}$$
kuruman said:
c. Use Gauss's law ##\int E_{inside}dA=q_{enc}/\epsilon_0## to find the electric field inside.
$$\int E_{inside}dA=q_{enclosed}/\epsilon_0$$
$$ E_{inside} \cdot (4\pi r^2) =q_{enclosed}/\epsilon_0$$
$$E_{inside} \cdot (4\pi r^2) =\frac {Q_{total}} {\epsilon_0 R^2} r^2$$

where I find that the electric field inside the solid sphere of non uniform volume charge density as
$$E_{inside}=\frac {Q_{total}} {4\pi \epsilon_0 R^2} $$

which is a constant related to inverse square (so the larger my sphere gets, the smaller the electric field will be inside).

I am going to redo my solution for the outside (its not required but i want to make sure I have a firm grasp on the concept of electric fields and Gauss' law.)

Thank you for your time kuruman, i have suffered over this problem for some time and It will stick to me now.

Attachments

• Question-3.png
    Question-3.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 1,469
Last edited:
Taxi1337 said:
I am going to redo my solution for the outside (its not required but i want to make sure I have a firm grasp on the concept of electric fields and Gauss' law.

For the outside:

Step 1. find find k in terms of the total charge of the system (since non uniform volume charge density), if it was uniform, skip to step 2.
$$\int_V \rho \, dV =Q_{total}$$
$$2 k \pi R^2 =Q_{total}$$
$$ k = \frac {Q_{total}} {2 \pi R^2}$$step 2. Find the charge enclosed by a Gaussian sphere of radius ##r## where ##r>R## so we would integrate over ##(0,R)##.
$$\int_V \rho \, dV =q_{enclosed}$$
$$2k\pi R^2=q_{enclosed}$$
$$2 \frac {Q_{total}} {2 \pi R^2} \pi R^2 =q_{enclosed}$$
$$ {Q_{total}}=q_{enclosed}$$

Step 3. Apply Gauss' Law:
$$\int E_{outside}dA=q_{enclosed}/\epsilon_0$$
$$ E_{outside} \cdot (4\pi r^2) =q_{enclosed}/\epsilon_0$$
$$E_{outside} =\frac {Q_{total}} {4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^2} $$

I would expect the sphere to have the electric field outside ##E_{outside} =\frac {Q_{total}} {4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^2} ## being the same as a point charge, so my answer looks correct for the outside.

I think you got it now. It might be worth your while also to get the electric field inside from Poisson's equation ##\vec{\nabla}\cdot \vec E_{inside}=\rho/\epsilon_0##. Sorry, I don't know of any "real" cases where the electric field is constant inside a spherical distribution.

Likes Taxi1337
kuruman said:
I think you got it now. It might be worth your while also to get the electric field inside from Poisson's equation ##\vec{\nabla}\cdot \vec E_{inside}=\rho/\epsilon_0##. Sorry, I don't know of any "real" cases where the electric field is constant inside a spherical distribution.

Thank you so much! I will try using Poisson's next to check if my answer comes up the same for ##E_{inside}.##

I guess what was bugging me so much is i graph everything from our lecture and the problems i do in the book and check my units. everything looked okay for me except when i attempted to solve ##k## and got a different answer. also the graph for this problem (figure a) looked very strange to me as all the other graphs of solid spheres looked like figure b.

Taxi1337 said:
all the other graphs of solid spheres looked like figure b.
Really? For a conductor the internal field would be zero, and for a uniformly charged sphere it would be proportional to radius, no?

1. What is a sphere-with-non-uniform-charge-density?

A sphere-with-non-uniform-charge-density is a type of spherical object that has a varying distribution of electric charge throughout its surface. This means that the charge density, represented by the symbol ρ, is not constant but instead changes with distance from the center of the sphere.

2. How is the charge density ρ determined in a sphere-with-non-uniform-charge-density?

The charge density ρ in a sphere-with-non-uniform-charge-density is determined by the equation ρ = k/r, where k is a constant and r is the distance from the center of the sphere. This means that the charge density decreases as the distance from the center increases.

3. What is the significance of the constant k in the equation for ρ?

The constant k in the equation for ρ represents the total charge of the sphere. It is a constant value that is used to calculate the charge density at any given point on the surface of the sphere.

4. How does the charge density affect the electric field inside and outside of the sphere-with-non-uniform-charge-density?

The charge density affects the electric field inside and outside of the sphere-with-non-uniform-charge-density by determining the strength and direction of the electric field at any given point. The electric field is stronger in areas with higher charge density and weaker in areas with lower charge density.

5. What are some real-world applications of a sphere-with-non-uniform-charge-density?

A sphere-with-non-uniform-charge-density has many real-world applications, including in electrostatics experiments, particle accelerators, and in the design of electronic devices. It is also used in theoretical physics to study the behavior of electric fields in non-uniformly charged systems.