Circular Motion and Radius of Curvature

In summary, the question asks for the minimum speed a roller coaster must be traveling at the top of a circle with a radius of curvature of 7.4 m to prevent passengers from falling out. The equations used are Ac=v^2/R and \SigmaF=mv^2/R, with the goal being to find the velocity (v) at which the centripetal force (Fc) provided by gravity (Fg) is equal to the force needed to keep the car in circular motion.
ThatMathGuy

Homework Statement

Oh boy... Here we go...

At what minimum speed must a roller coaster be traveling when upside down at the top of a circle so that the passengers will not fall out? Assume a radius of curvature of 7.4 m.

I honestly have nothing. To begin with, I drew a free-body diagram but got nowhere considering the teacher never explained 'radius of curvature'. I've tried searching on the Internet but all I get are a bunch of formulas in geodesy and aren't applicable to the problem. It's not in the book either (Giancoli PHYSICS Updated Edition 2009).

Homework Equations

Ac=v^2/R
[tex]\SigmaF[/tex]=mv^2/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried setting up a free-body diagram and got nowhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
At the top of the circular motion, gravity must provide no more than the centripetal force needed to hold the car in circular motion. If Fg exceeds Fc, the car will fall off the track. So start with Fc = Fg, fill in the detailed formulas and solve for v.

Also tried searching online and in the textbook but couldn't find anything relevant.

Dear student,

I understand your frustration with this problem. First of all, the term "radius of curvature" refers to the radius of the circle that the roller coaster is traveling on. In this problem, the radius of curvature is given as 7.4 m.

To solve this problem, we need to use the equation for centripetal acceleration, which is Ac = v^2/R, where v is the velocity and R is the radius of curvature. We also need to consider the force of gravity, which will act downwards on the passengers.

To prevent the passengers from falling out, the centripetal acceleration must be equal to or greater than the force of gravity. So, we can set up the following equation:

Ac ≥ mg

Where m is the mass of the passengers and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

We can substitute in the equation for centripetal acceleration, and rearrange to solve for the minimum velocity:

v ≥ √(Rg)

Plugging in the values for R and g, we get:

v ≥ √(7.4 * 9.8) = 8.58 m/s

So, the minimum speed that the roller coaster must be traveling at the top of the circle is 8.58 m/s.

I hope this helps clarify the problem for you. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work in your physics studies!

Best regards,

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path, where the object maintains a constant distance from a fixed point in the center.

2. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is when an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed, while non-uniform circular motion is when the object's speed or direction changes at different points along the path.

3. How is the radius of curvature related to circular motion?

The radius of curvature is the radius of the circle that best fits the curve at a particular point. In circular motion, the radius of curvature is equal to the radius of the circle that the object is moving along.

4. Can the radius of curvature change in circular motion?

Yes, the radius of curvature can change in circular motion if the speed or direction of the object changes. This will result in a different radius of curvature at different points along the path.

5. How is the centripetal force related to the radius of curvature in circular motion?

The centripetal force, which is the force that keeps an object moving along a circular path, is directly proportional to the radius of curvature. This means that as the radius of curvature increases, the centripetal force also increases.