Question Regarding Circular Motion and Normal Forces

Let's call it FC.So the forces due to Newton's 2nd Law are:Fg-FC = m*Acwhere Fg is the weight of the car, FC is the force due to the centripetal acceleration and Ac is the magnitude of the centripetal acceleration.
Chan M

Homework Statement

A roller coaster car has a mass of 500 kg when fully loaded with passengers. The path of the coaster from its initial point involves only up and down motion with no motion to the left or right. (A) If the vehicle has a speed of 20 m/s at the bottom of the first dip which follows a circular path with a radius of 10 m, what is the force exerted by the track on the car at this point?

(B) What is the maximum speed the roller coaster can have when it reaches the next hill which follows a circular path of 15 m and still remain on the track?

Homework Equations

Ac = (v^2) / r
Net force in y direction is equal to the normal force minus the gravitational force
(ny - Fg = 0)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ac = (20 m/s)^2 / 10m
Ac = 40 m/s^2The answer to part A is the normal force the track exerts onto the car. This force is equal to gravity plus something else. The track exerts more normal force because the car is moving in a circular path. However, in my Free-Body Diagram, I have only the normal force and the force of gravity, both of which are equal and opposite. The question is not asking for the Fg since Fg does not equal the normal.

I am thinking there must be another downward force to cause the normal to be greater than Fg. I don't need much help with the question, just these concepts so I can apply them to other questions.

EDIT:

So I have been looking at other websites looking for a adequate answer. I keep seeing that the solution to part A is "centripetal force + m*g" or "Ac*m + Fg".

The thing is... my teacher has only talked about Ac and not Ac*m so...
Yeah, new "concept." So Ac*m is the force an object experiences due to centripetal acceleration? And this force always points toward the center of rotation or away from it? Can someone give me a rundown of how centripetal acceleration is related to centripetal force, Fg, and the normal force in this equation? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Chan M said:
both of which are equal and opposite
No they are not. Why would they be? They do not form a third-law pair.
You seem to be thinking of a static situation. The car is not static, it is accelerating.

Chan M said:
The answer to part A is the normal force the track exerts onto the car. This force is equal to gravity plus something else. The track exerts more normal force because the car is moving in a circular path. However, in my Free-Body Diagram, I have only the normal force and the force of gravity, both of which are equal and opposite.

They are equal because you have only drawn the forces for a stationary car. As Orodruin says.. in this case the car is accelerating towards the centre of the curve. There is a name for this force which I'm sure you know.

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path, where the direction of the object's velocity is constantly changing but its speed remains constant.

2. What causes circular motion?

Circular motion is caused by the presence of a centripetal force, which is directed towards the center of the circular path and keeps the object moving in a circular motion.

3. What is the relationship between circular motion and normal forces?

In circular motion, the normal force is the force that acts perpendicular to the surface of an object. In the case of circular motion, the normal force acts towards the center of the circle and helps to maintain the object's circular path.

4. How does the normal force change in circular motion?

The normal force changes in circular motion as the object moves around the circular path. At the top of the circle, the normal force is at its maximum as it counteracts the force of gravity. At the bottom of the circle, the normal force is at its minimum as it is in the same direction as the force of gravity.

5. Can the normal force be greater than the weight of the object in circular motion?

Yes, in circular motion, the normal force can be greater than the weight of the object. This is because the normal force acts perpendicular to the surface of the object, while the weight acts vertically downwards. In certain cases, the normal force may need to be greater in order to maintain the object's circular motion and prevent it from flying off the circular path.