Radius of curvature of the trajectory of points A and B

In summary, the radius of curvature of the trajectory of point A is given by the equation ##R_A=\frac{v_A^2}{a_{nA}}##.
haruspex said:
That’s a bit vague/unclear. E.g. I don't know what "both must sum" means.
There are many ways of decomposing motion into sums. For a rotating body it is often convenient to decompose the motion of a point P within it as the sum of the linear velocity of the mass centre plus a tangential velocity, tangential in the sense of a rotation about the mass centre. In the present context that's ##\vec v_P=\vec v_C+\vec v_{P/C}##.
And that's exactly how we defined ##v_A## right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Davidllerenav said:
And that's exactly how we defined ##v_A## right?
We did not define ##\vec v_A## that way, we decomposed it that way.

haruspex said:
We did not define ##\vec v_A## that way, we decomposed it that way.
Oh, ok. And why both ##v_C## and ##v_{A/C}## are equal, i.e. they ar both ##\omega r?

Please see the below image for solution...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 10.13.52 am.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-02 at 10.13.52 am.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 304
Vivek098 said:
Please see the below image for solution...
I understand the solution. What I want to know is why ##\vec v_A = \vec v_C + \vec v_{A/C}=2\vec v_C=2\omega R##.

Point A is rotating about centre of mass with angular velocity w and also translating with velocity v. So net velocity of top point is v + wR and since v=wR. So Vnet = 2v = 2wR

Vivek098 said:
Point A is rotating about centre of mass with angular velocity w and also translating with velocity v. So net velocity of top point is v + wR and since v=wR. So Vnet = 2v = 2wR
Ok. Thanks, one last question. Why is the translatong velocity ##v## also ##\omega R##?

Lowest point on body is not slipping with respect to the point in contact on ground means there relative velocity is zero. Velocity of lowest point on body is v-wR and that on ground is zero. So, v-wR=0

Davidllerenav said:
Ok. Thanks, one last question. Why is the translatong velocity ##v## also ##\omega R##?
What about the radius of curvature for point B? Can you solve that now?

haruspex said:
What about the radius of curvature for point B? Can you solve that now?
Yes, I think I can. I just need to use proyections, right? It would be almost the same process of A.

Davidllerenav said:
Yes, I think I can. I just need to use proyections, right? It would be almost the same process of A.
Nearly, but as I wrote, you must be careful to use only the centripetal component of the acceleration.

Davidllerenav said:
I just saw something like this on calculus. I think tha my physics teacher would like a more physical approach, using the definitions and formulas of velocity, angular velocity, etc
Well, it isn't physics problem, it's mathematical one. You are asking for a curvature and that's a curvature of a trajectory (of the two points). A trajectory is a curve in space, it has nothing to do with velocity or acceleration.
Second point: in science we don't do what we like, we do what we can prove and what works.
Davidllerenav said:
How did you manage to define the coordinate poins of A and B like that?
Simple, It is a combination of linear motion and rotation. Since there is no slippage, the angle of rotation is (in radians) distance traveled / radius. The rest is an elementary geometry.