Register to reply

Calculating the voltage and electric field strength between two parallel plates

Share this thread:
mmoadi
Dec26-09, 11:39 AM
P: 157
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

- How much is the electrical voltage U between two evenly electrified parallel flat plates, distanced d = 1 cm, if the strength of electric field between them is E = 1 V / m? - - What is the strength of electric field to the left and to the right of each plate?
- What is the force on the surface (area) unit between the two plates?
- What are the voltage between the plates and the force on the surface unit as a result of doubling the distance between the two plates?
- How is the strength of the electric field and force between the two plates altered (changed), if the voltage is maintained constant?
Influencing constant is ε(0) = 8.85 10^-12 As / Vm.

2. Relevant equations

V= E*d
F= Q*E
V= Qd/ Aε(0)
E= Q/ Aε(0)

3. The attempt at a solution

First part: How much is the electrical voltage U between two evenly electrified parallel flat plates?

V= 1 V/m* 0.01 m= 0.01 V

Are my calculations for the first part correct?

And I really don't know how to approach the rest of the problem. Can someone please help me? Any hints?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
berkeman
Dec26-09, 03:42 PM
Mentor
P: 41,017
Quote Quote by mmoadi View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

- How much is the electrical voltage U between two evenly electrified parallel flat plates, distanced d = 1 cm, if the strength of electric field between them is E = 1 V / m? - - What is the strength of electric field to the left and to the right of each plate?
- What is the force on the surface (area) unit between the two plates?
- What are the voltage between the plates and the force on the surface unit as a result of doubling the distance between the two plates?
- How is the strength of the electric field and force between the two plates altered (changed), if the voltage is maintained constant?
Influencing constant is ε(0) = 8.85 10^-12 As / Vm.

2. Relevant equations

V= E*d
F= Q*E
V= Qd/ Aε(0)
E= Q/ Aε(0)

3. The attempt at a solution

First part: How much is the electrical voltage U between two evenly electrified parallel flat plates?

V= 1 V/m* 0.01 m= 0.01 V

Are my calculations for the first part correct?

And I really don't know how to approach the rest of the problem. Can someone please help me? Any hints?
Yes, V = 0.01V is correct for the first part. The other equation that you will need is Q = CV. That should give you what you need for the rest.
mmoadi
Dec27-09, 11:02 AM
P: 157
Thank you for helping!

Second part: What is the strength of electric field to the left and to the right of each plate?

I need some help with this part. Any hints?

Third part: What is the force on the surface unit between the two plates?

E= Q*V → Q= 2E/ V
Q= 200 C

F= Q*E= 200 N

Fourth part: What are the voltage between the plates and the force on the surface unit as a result of doubling the distance between the two plates?

d= 2 cm= 0.02 m

V= d*E= 0.02 V
Q= 2E/ V= 100 C
F= Q*E= 100 N

ARE MY CALCULATIONS CORRECT?

Fifth part: How is the strength of the electric field and force between the two plates altered (changed), if the voltage is maintained constant?

I need some help with this part. Any hints?

Thank you for helping!

Register to reply