Finding electric field between two conducting plates using Gauss' law

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Gauss's law to calculate the electric field between two plates in a specific charge distribution scenario. The question arises of why the negative charges on the other plate are not considered in the calculation, to which it is explained that Gauss's law considers the total field at a given surface, not just the field due to enclosed charge. The conversation also clarifies the purpose and limitations of Gauss's law in determining electric fields in different scenarios.
MatinSAR
Homework Statement
Finding electric field between two conducting plates using Gauss's law
Relevant Equations
##\epsilon_0 \oint \vec E \cdot d \vec A=q_{net,enc}##
1688820007841.png

1688819665801.png

1688819960307.png

This picture is from Sears and Zemansky's University Physics.
It considers ##S_1## as a gaussian surface then it finds electric field between two plates.
The only thing that I cannot understand is why it doesn't consider the electric field due to negative charges on other plate. Then electric field between plates should be ##\frac {2\sigma}{\epsilon_0}##.Same thing happened in Fundamentals of Physics(Textbook by David Halliday).
1688820518133.png
1688820551277.png

Physics news on Phys.org
MatinSAR said:
The only thing that I cannot understand is why it doesn't consider the electric field due to negative charges on other plate.
Who says it doesn't? It seems you don't understand Gauss's law. The symbol ##E## in Gauss's law stands for the total field at area element ##dA##, not just the field due to the enclosed charge.

At the flat pillbox surface between the plates, the total field is ##E## and at the other surface inside the plate is zero. So $$(E+0)A=\frac{q_{enc.}}{\epsilon_0}=\frac{\sigma A}{\epsilon_0}\implies E=\frac{\sigma}{\epsilon_0}.$$ Another way to see it is this. Each of the planar charge distributions contributes an electric field of magnitude $$E=\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_0}.$$ Between the plates, the contributions are in the same direction so the total field is the sum of the magnitudes. Inside the conductor, the contributions are in opposite directions resulting in zero.

Likes MatinSAR
Thanks a lot for your reply.
kuruman said:
The symbol ##E## in Gauss's law stands for the total field at area element ##dA##, not just the field due to the enclosed charge.
I've read this statement in my book but I didn't understand it correctly. So I can't use Gauss's law to find the electric field of a charge distribution inside the closed surface.(since this law relates net charge inside the surface and total electric field.)
But I can do that If there's no charge outside of the surface and we have only charge inside.

MatinSAR said:
I've read this statement in my book but I didn't understand it correctly. So I can't use Gauss's law to find the electric field of a charge distribution inside the closed surface.(since this law relates net charge inside the surface and total electric field.)
But I can do that If there's no charge outside of the surface and we have only charge inside.
It looks like you still don't understand what Gauss's law says. Consider it in the form $$\epsilon_0\oint \vec E \cdot d\vec A=q_{enc}$$You can view it as a set of instructions to perform two tasks.

Task 1
  1. Take a closed surface ##S## that forms the boundary of volume ##V##, like the skin of a potato.
  2. Subdivide the skin of the potato into small directed area elements ##d\vec A##. This means that each element has magnitude ##dA## and points perpendicular to the surface and outward, away from the skin.
  3. At each element find ##\vec E \cdot d\vec A## which is the perpendicular-to-the-surface component of the total electric field multiplied by ##dA## at the location of that particular ##dA## and ##\epsilon_0##.
  4. Add the result in the memory of your calculator.
  5. Repeat with the next element and the next and the next until you cover all the elements on the skin.
  6. Recall the number in the memory of your calculator which is the sum of all the products. Call it the left-hand-number.
Task 2
  1. Dice the meat of the potato into small element each of volume ##dV##.
  2. Find the total charge in element ##dV##.
  3. Add the result in the memory of your calculator.
  4. Repeat with the next element and the next and the next until you cover all the elements that make up the meat of the potato.
  5. Recall the number in the memory of your calculator which is the sum of all the charges. Call it the right-hand-number.
At this point you have two numbers that you have obtained by performing two completely separate tasks. Gauss's law is the assertion that these two numbers are the same. It is an experimental result and always holds but cannot always be used to calculate electric fields.

Crudely, it says that if you walk on the surface of the potato and find that electric field lines are coming out of it at all locations, you don't need to look inside to figure out that there is a net positive charge inside. Furthermore, you find that as many field lines flow out as flow in for a net of zero flux, again you don't need to look inside to figure out that there is no net charge inside. Note that no net electric flux does not mean no field at the surface. It only means that left-hand-number has just as many positive as negative contributions.

Gauss's law can be used in highly symmetric situations to find the electric field not inside the Gaussian surface, but at the Gaussian surface, i.e. on the skin of the potato. These are situations where (a) the electric field is perpendicular to the surface at each point on the skin and (b) the electric field has the same magnitude at each point on the skin.

Likes MatinSAR
@kuruman Thank you for your valuable reply. I understand much better now.

Likes kuruman

1. What is Gauss' law and how is it used to find the electric field between two conducting plates?

Gauss' law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the flux of an electric field through a closed surface to the charge enclosed within that surface. It can be used to find the electric field between two conducting plates by considering the charge enclosed between the plates and the symmetry of the electric field.

2. What are the assumptions made when using Gauss' law to find the electric field between two conducting plates?

The main assumptions made when using Gauss' law to find the electric field between two conducting plates are that the plates are infinite and parallel, and that the electric field is uniform between the plates. Additionally, the plates are assumed to have equal and opposite charges on their surfaces.

3. How do you determine the direction of the electric field using Gauss' law?

The direction of the electric field can be determined by considering the direction of the flux through the closed surface. If the flux is positive, the electric field points outward from the surface, and if the flux is negative, the electric field points inward towards the surface.

4. Can Gauss' law be used to find the electric field between non-parallel conducting plates?

Yes, Gauss' law can be used to find the electric field between non-parallel conducting plates as long as the plates are still infinite and the electric field is uniform between them. In this case, the electric field will not be perpendicular to the plates, but its direction can still be determined using the flux through a closed surface.

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the electric field between two conducting plates using Gauss' law?

This concept has many practical applications, such as in the design of capacitors, which use parallel conducting plates to store electric charge. It is also used in the design of electronic devices, such as computer memory chips, and in the study of electrostatics and electromagnetism in general.