Trying to find a school for BioMEMs research

In summary, the person wants to get into a graduate program in bioengineering to research BioMEMS, but is having difficulty figuring out which schools to apply to and whether or not to apply to schools that they feel are less selective.
HappMatt
So I would like to get into grad school and research BioMEMs but am having issues figuring out where to apply and whether or not I should.

A little background:
I will be graduating in may with a degree in biomedical engineering from the U of MN. I currently have a 3.0 with a 3.26 in the last 60 credits and in addition I have done this with a learning disability and no accomidations. I taken the GRE and got a 680Q/520V. I have been reseaching thin films transducers getting some good research experience in the last year. I am in my late 20s and before going back to school 4 yrs ago I was doing auto body.

I really want to get a phd reseaching BioMEMS and more specifically lab on a chip. My disability has made getting top grade hard but I have been getting better and expect that my grades will keep increasing. I am definately applying to UCLA and probally UC Irvine and possibly U of Maryland for biomedical and likly PennState for engineering science. I doubt I will get into them but would really like to. I need to figure out if there are some other school that may not be so selective but still have descent facilities and reseach. I don't care what type of engineering I do wether it be a EE, ME, BME or what ever as long as I get to do the right research.

So I am looking for advice as to how to approach this and are there maybe some schools that are a little less know but still might be descent to go to in my situation.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You may get some ideas if you look through recent issues of Lab on a Chip, J Micromech Microeng, and the proceedings of conferences like µTAS.

I have done a little of that and unfortunatly it always appears as though the research I would like to do is being done at a school that I don't think i will get into. I will definately look some more though.
Thanks

1. What is BioMEMs research?

BioMEMs research, short for "biological microelectromechanical systems", is a field that combines biology and microelectronics to develop small devices for medical or biological applications. These devices can range from lab-on-a-chip systems to implantable sensors for monitoring health conditions.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing BioMEMs research?

Pursuing BioMEMs research can lead to advancements in healthcare and medicine, as these devices have the potential to improve the accuracy and efficiency of diagnostics and treatments. It also allows for interdisciplinary collaboration between scientists from different fields, leading to innovative solutions and discoveries.

3. What qualifications are needed to work in BioMEMs research?

To work in BioMEMs research, one typically needs a strong background in biology, micro/nanotechnology, and engineering. A degree in a related field, such as biomedical engineering or biochemistry, is also beneficial. Additionally, experience with laboratory techniques and data analysis is important.

4. How do I find a school for BioMEMs research?

There are a few ways to find a school for BioMEMs research. You can start by researching universities that offer programs in biomedical engineering or other related fields. Look for schools with active research in BioMEMs and reach out to professors or current students for more information. You can also attend conferences or workshops in the field to network and learn about different schools and their research opportunities.

5. What are some current research topics in BioMEMs?

Some current research topics in BioMEMs include developing implantable sensors for real-time monitoring of health conditions, creating microfluidic devices for drug delivery, and designing lab-on-a-chip systems for point-of-care diagnostics. Other areas of research include tissue engineering, biosensors, and micro-robotics for medical applications.