Register to reply

Force exerted by two charges

Share this thread:
bphysics
Feb1-10, 06:59 PM
P: 35
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two point charges are placed on the x-axis as follows: one positive charge, q1, is located to the right of the origin at x= x1, and a second positive charge, q2, is located to the left of the origin at x= x2.

What is the total force (magnitude and direction) exerted by these two charges on a negative point charge, q3, that is placed at the origin? Use [tex]\epsilon_{0}[/tex] for the permittivity of free space. Take positive forces to be along the positive x-axis. Do not use unit vectors.

2. Relevant equations

Coulomb's Law: F = [tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{\left|q_{1}q_{2}\right|}{r^{2}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

MasteringPhysics keeps giving me a "Check your signs error". Yet, as far as I can tell, I should be subtracting the force which is going left / the negative direction (ie, q2) from the force going to the right (ie, q1).

Any hints?
Attached Thumbnails
equation.JPG  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
bphysics
Feb1-10, 10:28 PM
P: 35
My apologizes if the "attempt at a solution" section appeared blank for anyone -- I have changed the link so that users who are not logged in can now see the link.
thebigstar25
Feb2-10, 07:53 AM
P: 286
u can find the electric field at the origin from the charge q1 and q2 and then u can find the force using F= q3 * E .. try this one, I hope it will work

Register to reply