Force exerted by two charges

by bphysics
Tags: charges, coulomb's law, direction, epsilon, magnitude
bphysics
Feb1-10, 06:59 PM
P: 35
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two point charges are placed on the x-axis as follows: one positive charge, q1, is located to the right of the origin at x= x1, and a second positive charge, q2, is located to the left of the origin at x= x2.

What is the total force (magnitude and direction) exerted by these two charges on a negative point charge, q3, that is placed at the origin? Use [tex]\epsilon_{0}[/tex] for the permittivity of free space. Take positive forces to be along the positive x-axis. Do not use unit vectors.

2. Relevant equations

Coulomb's Law: F = [tex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{0}}\frac{\left|q_{1}q_{2}\right|}{r^{2}}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

MasteringPhysics keeps giving me a "Check your signs error". Yet, as far as I can tell, I should be subtracting the force which is going left / the negative direction (ie, q2) from the force going to the right (ie, q1).

Any hints?
Attached Thumbnails
equation.JPG  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
SensaBubble: It's a bubble, but not as we know it (w/ video)
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
bphysics
Feb1-10, 10:28 PM
P: 35
My apologizes if the "attempt at a solution" section appeared blank for anyone -- I have changed the link so that users who are not logged in can now see the link.
thebigstar25
Feb2-10, 07:53 AM
P: 286
u can find the electric field at the origin from the charge q1 and q2 and then u can find the force using F= q3 * E .. try this one, I hope it will work

Register to reply