Electric Charge and Force free body diagrams

In summary: Q1 from Q2 is negative, it will be in the negative x direction.In summary, the net electric force on charge Q1 is the sum of the forces on Q1 from Q2 and Q3, taking into account the direction and magnitudes of the forces due to the charges. The same process applies for finding the net electric force on Q2 and Q3.
Cglez1280

Homework Statement

A positive charge Q1 = 7.4 μC is located at a point X1 = -2 m, a negative charge Q2 = -9.7 μC is located at a point X2 = 3 m and a positive charge Q3 = 2.1 μC is located at a point X3 = 9 m.
  1. Draw free body diagrams for the electric force acting on Q1, Q2 and Q3.
  2. Find the magnitude of the force between Q1 and Q2.
  3. Find the magnitude of the force between Q1 and Q3.
  4. Find the magnitude of the force between Q2 and Q3.
  5. Find the magnitude and direction of the net electric force on charge Q1.
  6. Find the magnitude and direction of the net electric force on charge Q2.
  7. Find the magnitude and direction of the net electric force on charge Q3.
    I've done number 1-4 but still don't understand how to do 5-7. Physics is not my strong point at all.
Q1=7.4*10^-6
Q2=9.8*10^-6
Q3=2.1*10^-6

Homework Equations

Felect=(k*Q1*Q2)/d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so far I've tried doing things I'll upload a picture but help would be very appreciated. I'm not sure how to calculate the net force

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 663
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 624
Physics news on Phys.org
Cglez1280 said:

Homework Statement

A positive charge Q1 = 7.4 μC is located at a point X1 = -2 m, a negative charge Q2 = -9.7 μC is located at a point X2 = 3 m and a positive charge Q3 = 2.1 μC is located at a point X3 = 9 m.
  1. Draw free body diagrams for the electric force acting on Q1, Q2 and Q3.
  2. Find the magnitude of the force between Q1 and Q2.
  3. Find the magnitude of the force between Q1 and Q3.
  4. Find the magnitude of the force between Q2 and Q3.
  5. Find the magnitude and direction of the net electric force on charge Q1.
  6. Find the magnitude and direction of the net electric force on charge Q2.
  7. Find the magnitude and direction of the net electric force on charge Q3.
    I've done number 1-4 but still don't understand how to do 5-7. Physics is not my strong point at all.
Q1=7.4*10^-6
Q2=9.8*10^-6
Q3=2.1*10^-6

Homework Equations

Felect=(k*Q1*Q2)/d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so far I've tried doing things I'll upload a picture but help would be very appreciated. I'm not sure how to calculate the net force
It's difficult for me to read the picture of your work, but to find the net force, you add the forces vectorially (magnitude and direction). This is just a 1-d problem, so the forces will either be attractive or repulsive, all along the x-axis.

So to find the net force on Q1 due to the other 2 charges, just add the forces on Q1 from each of the other charges, being careful to get the signs of the magnitudes of the forces right. Take a positive force to be in the positive x direction...

1. What is electric charge?

Electric charge is a physical property of matter that causes it to experience a force when placed in an electromagnetic field. It can be positive or negative and is measured in units of Coulombs (C).

2. How is electric charge created?

Electric charge is created when electrons are transferred between atoms. This can happen through friction, contact, or induction.

3. What is the relationship between electric charge and force?

The relationship between electric charge and force is described by Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

4. What is a free body diagram?

A free body diagram is a visual representation of the forces acting on an object in a given situation. It includes all the forces acting on the object, their direction, and their relative magnitudes.

5. How do you use free body diagrams to analyze electric charge and force?

To analyze electric charge and force using free body diagrams, you would first identify all the charged objects in the scenario and their respective charges. Then, you would draw a free body diagram for each object, including all the forces acting on it. Finally, you would use Coulomb's Law to calculate the force between each pair of charged objects and determine the overall net force on each object.