Additive Identity

by tc_11
Tags: additive, identity
Share this thread:
tc_11
Feb1-10, 11:50 PM
P: 8
Hi,

I am new with linear algebra, and I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the 0 vector and the additive identity v + 0 = v, where 0 is the 0 vector.
If I had a 2x2 matrix, and v + w = C + (C^T)*D ... (where (C^T) is the transpose, v & w are vectors, and C & D are matrices)... would the additive identity hold? I feel like it wouldn't, because I don't see how it would be unique... but I think I may be wrong.. can someone please help?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
Lord Crc
Feb2-10, 02:35 AM
P: 89
I can't make sense of your expression, how does adding two vectors get you a 2x2 matrix? Are you confusing something here, or am I the confused one?

Anyway, if the additive identity does not hold, you're not dealing with a vector space and all bets are off (as far as linear algebra is concerned). One of the requirements of a vector space [tex]V[/tex] is that there exists an element [tex]\mathbf{0} \in V[/tex] such that [tex]\mathbf{v} + \mathbf{0} = \mathbf{v}[/tex] for all [tex]\mathbf{v} \in V[/tex].
tc_11
Feb2-10, 07:27 AM
P: 8
That's what I'm trying to prove though, that the additive identity v + 0 = v does in fact hold, and if not it's not a vector space, but we have to test the axioms anyway to see which ones do hold.
Addition of 2 vectors in this problem translates to:
vector v := C (where C is a 2x2 matrix)
vector w:= D (where D is a 2x2 matix)
(v+w):= C + (C^T)D
so i would set up my equation as v + 0 =? v
C + (C^T)D =? C

radou
Feb2-10, 07:40 AM
HW Helper
P: 3,220
Additive Identity

If 0 is a 2x2 zero-matrix (the 0-vector you were referring to), then v + 0 = v, but 0 + v = 0, which can't hold for a vector space.

Register to reply