Time derivative of momentum expectation?

In summary: If the wavefunction is sharply peaked at some point, then its square modulus is a very large positive number at that point and has to go to zero sufficiently quickly as you move away from that point for the integral to converge. This in turn means that the wavefunction cannot grow too quickly as you move away from the peak, so all of its derivatives must also go to zero at infinity. The stronger requirement that the wavefunction be differentiable and its derivative continuous everywhere is a very convenient one and is usually imposed from the start by assuming that the wavefunction is a continuous function and then later proving that it is also differentiable and its derivative continuous.In summary, the website shows that the time derivative of the momentum expectation can be expressed
theneedtoknow
Hello,

I am trying to learn about some basic quantum mechanics.

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/qmech/lectures/node35.html this website shows that the time derivative of the momentum expectation d<p>/dt = -<dV/dx>
The part that i am not getting is how the writer goes from the first line of equation 157 on the site, to the second line of the same equation. He simply says he is integrating by parts.

I've tried integrating the 2 terms of the integrand in the first line by parts, but I am not really getting to the second line. I assume that integrating the 2 terms independently should give u1v1 - u2v2 = 0 so that we are left only with the integrals of v1du1 and v2du2(this is judging by the fact that the second line is entirely an integral).
Can someone clear up this step?

Physics news on Phys.org
theneedtoknow said:
The part that i am not getting is how the writer goes from the first line of equation 157 on the site, to the second line of the same equation. He simply says he is integrating by parts.

I've tried integrating the 2 terms of the integrand in the first line by parts, but I am not really getting to the second line.
Ignore the first term for now and just focus on the second. The trick you're supposed to use is just that if D is the derivative operator and f and g are functions, then fDg=D(fg)-(Df)g. You'll end up with an extra term that doesn't appear in the second line because the integral over it is zero.

Only the second term is integrated by parts, and the resulting total derivative is thrown away. In the first term the factor of (-ih) is swept under the complex conjugation.

EDIT: Fredrik beat me to it... ;)

theneedtoknow said:
Hello,

I am trying to learn about some basic quantum mechanics.

http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/qmech/lectures/node35.html this website shows that the time derivative of the momentum expectation d<p>/dt = -<dV/dx>

I've tried integrating the 2 terms of the integrand in the first line by parts, but I am not really getting to the second line. I assume that integrating the 2 terms independently should give u1v1 - u2v2 = 0 so that we are left only with the integrals of v1du1 and v2du2(this is judging by the fact that the second line is entirely an integral).
Can someone clear up this step?

AFAICS, he is just implicitly using the fact that the wavefunction must vanish at [tex]\pm\infty[/tex] in the derivation. Integration works as follows:

[tex]uv = \int vdu + \int udv[/tex] therefore, for a definite interval, we have

[tex]\int^{b}_{a}udv = uv|^{b}_{a} - \int^{b}_{a}vdu[/tex], but in this case, [tex]uv|^{b}_{a} \rightarrow \psi^{*}\frac{\partial\psi}{\partial t}|^{+\infty}_{-\infty} = 0[/tex], so only the vdu integral remains, as shown in the derivation.

P.S. Sorry for the crummy TeX formatting .. I am still learning it, and I couldn't figure out how to make the "evaluation bar" immediately to the right of the uv terms any bigger

EDIT: Yeah me too, but at least we all said the same thing :smile:

Thank you guys!
So, in the first term then, he is just using (ih)* = -ih and dPsi*/dt = (dPsi/dt)*, to combine both terms in the brackets?

theneedtoknow said:
Thank you guys!
So, in the first term then, he is just using (ih)* = -ih and dPsi*/dt = (dPsi/dt)*, to combine both terms in the brackets?

Yup!

:) All clear now! Thanks again!

One more question... if I'm evaluationg dPsi/dx at inf or at -inf, it should be zero right? It makes sense that the only way for Psi to go to zero at inf/-inf is if the slope of psi (dPsi/dx)also goes to zero? (the tangent to psi approaches being parallel to the x-axis?)

theneedtoknow said:
One more question... if I'm evaluationg dPsi/dx at inf or at -inf, it should be zero right? It makes sense that the only way for Psi to go to zero at inf/-inf is if the slope of psi (dPsi/dx)also goes to zero? (the tangent to psi approaches being parallel to the x-axis?)

Yes, psi and all of its position-space derivatives must go smoothly to zero at +/- infinity. This is required by one of the postulates of Q.M. ... which says that the square-modulus of the wavefunction in any volume element is proportional to the probability of observing the particle in that volume element (the Born interpretation of the wavefunction). This means that the wavefunction must be square integrable, i.e. that the square modulus of the wavefunction integrated over all space yields a finite number.

1. What is the definition of time derivative of momentum expectation?

The time derivative of momentum expectation is a mathematical concept that describes the rate of change of the average momentum of a system over time. It is represented by the symbol d/dt, which stands for the change in momentum expectation with respect to time.

2. How is the time derivative of momentum expectation calculated?

The time derivative of momentum expectation can be calculated by taking the derivative of the momentum expectation function with respect to time. This involves applying the rules of differentiation, such as the product rule and chain rule, to the function.

3. What is the physical significance of the time derivative of momentum expectation?

The time derivative of momentum expectation has physical significance because it allows us to understand how the average momentum of a system changes over time. It can also provide insights into the dynamics of a system and its behavior.

4. How is the time derivative of momentum expectation related to the uncertainty principle?

The time derivative of momentum expectation is related to the uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know the momentum of a particle, the less precisely we can know its position. This is because the time derivative of momentum expectation is inversely proportional to the uncertainty in the momentum of a particle.

5. Can the time derivative of momentum expectation be used to predict the future behavior of a system?

Yes, the time derivative of momentum expectation can be used to predict the future behavior of a system. By understanding how the average momentum of a system changes over time, we can make predictions about its future dynamics and behavior.