Momentum Operator Derivation Questions

In summary: After reading more of the book and looking at some pictures, I think I understand what x is doing in this context now. It's like a parameter that is quoted but not referenced in the equation.
Crush1986
Hello,

This is probably a very easy questions about the one-dimension momentum operator derivation. So you take the d<x>/dt to find the "velocity" of the expectation value. At one point in the derivation early on, you bring in the d/dt into the integral of the expectation value. The book I'm going off of just basically takes the x out of the derivative because I'm guessing it isn't a function of time.

My question is, how do I know it's not a function of time? When I was trying to do the derivation alone before I looked at the book I used the chain rule here, and obviously made a mess. How do you know that x isn't really x(t)? I don't know I used to make this mistake in classical mechanics, and always assume x or theta wasn't a function of time, so I wouldn't treat them accordingly when doing derivatives. How do I know this x is different?

If anyone would like to help me out here, but wants to see more lines of the derivation I could post them. I just didn't take the time now because I again forget all the latex I learned from the last time I used it, probably a year ago. Just let me know if it would help you out.

Thanks anyone for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the difference between a theory of point particles and a field theory. In classical mechanics, we have a point particle with trajectory ## \textbf{r}(t) ##, while in quantum mechanics we have a wave function ## \Psi(\textbf{r},t) ##. The ## \textbf{r} ## is not a function of time here - the wave function is a field-like quantity and it depends on ## \textbf{r} ## as well as ## t ##. To get the probability of finding a particle in a volume ## d^3\textbf{r} ##, you use ## \Psi ## to get a probability field ## | \Psi |^2 d^3\textbf{r}##. ## \textbf{r} ## just marks the position at which you are considering such probabilities, and it can be anywhere in space.

Likes Crush1986
Geofleur said:
This is the difference between a theory of point particles and a field theory. In classical mechanics, we have a point particle with trajectory ## \textbf{r}(t) ##, while in quantum mechanics we have a wave function ## \Psi(\textbf{r},t) ##. The ## \textbf{r} ## is not a function of time here - the wave function is a field-like quantity and it depends on ## \textbf{r} ## as well as ## t ##. To get the probability of finding a particle in a volume ## d^3\textbf{r} ##, you use ## \Psi ## to get a probability field ## | \Psi |^2 d^3\textbf{r}##. ## \textbf{r} ## just marks the position at which you are considering such probabilities, and it can be anywhere in space.
Ok wow, after reading your response a few times it makes A LOT of sense. Thanks! I think it answers a lot of other little questions I had about earlier stuff too. I just never had the berries to ask when I probably should have.

Geofleur said:
If x doesn't depend on t, how can its average value <x> depend on it?
(It's to understand better what x means in this context).

Edit. I ask this because don't know if the OP has clear that "x" here means two different things: "operator" in on case and "variable" in another.

--
lightarrow

Last edited:
lightarrow said:
If x doesn't depend on t, how can its average value <x> depend on it?
(It's to understand better what x means in this context).

Edit. I ask this because don't know if the OP has clear that "x" here means two different things: "operator" in on case and "variable" in another.

--
lightarrow
I see the difference after Geoflur's post. I hadn't noticed it was all in the notation of the wave function pretty much.

Related to Momentum Operator Derivation Questions

1. What is the momentum operator?

The momentum operator is a mathematical representation of the momentum of a physical system. It is denoted by the symbol p and is defined as the product of the mass of an object and its velocity.

2. How is the momentum operator derived?

The momentum operator is derived from the classical definition of momentum, p = mv, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. In quantum mechanics, momentum is represented by the operator p = -iħ∇, where ∇ is the gradient operator and ħ is the reduced Planck's constant.

3. What is the significance of the momentum operator in quantum mechanics?

The momentum operator plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics as it is used to describe the momentum of a particle in a quantum state. It is also a fundamental operator in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely the momentum of a particle is known, the less precisely its position can be known.

4. How is the momentum operator related to the Hamiltonian operator?

The momentum operator and the Hamiltonian operator are related through the Heisenberg's equation of motion, which states that the time rate of change of any observable is equal to the commutator of the observable with the Hamiltonian operator. In other words, the momentum operator is a conserved quantity in a system described by the Hamiltonian operator.

5. Can the momentum operator be applied to systems other than particles?

Yes, the momentum operator can be applied to any physical system that exhibits wave-like properties, such as electromagnetic radiation. In these cases, the momentum operator is defined in terms of the wave vector and frequency of the wave.