Width of the first dark fringe (2 slit interference)

In summary, the conversation discusses a double-slit experiment and the calculation of the width of the central bright fringe and the first dark fringe of the interference pattern on a viewing screen. The equations used are y[m]=m*lambda*L/d (bright), y'[m]=(m+.5)*lambda*L/d (dark), theta [m]=m*lambda/d (bright), and y'[m]=(m+.5)*lambda/d (dark), all using the small angle approximation. For part a, the central maximum is defined by the first dark fringes on either side of the central bright, resulting in a width of 3.8 mm. For part b, there is confusion on how to define the width of the first dark fringe,
XanziBar

Homework Statement

In a double-slit experiment, the two narrow slits are spaced 0.20 mm apart. A viewing screen is put 1.2 m behind the slits. A parallel light ray is shining on the slits.

(a) If the wavelength of the incoming light ray is 633 nm. What is the width of the central bright fringe of the interference pattern on the viewing screen?

(b) If the wavelength of the incoming light ray is 633 nm. What is the width of the first dark fringe of the interference pattern on the viewing screen?

Homework Equations

y[m]=m*lambda*L/d (bright)
y'[m]=(m+.5)*lambda*L/d (dark)
theta [m]=m*lambda/d (bright)
y'[m]=(m+.5)*lambda/d (dark)

(using the small angle approximation in all equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so for part a I was thinking the following: the central maximum might be defined by the 1st dark fringes on either side of the central bright so y'[0]=1.899 mm and since the pattern is symmetric it is defined by the first dark on the left and the right which means the width is 2*y'[0]=3.8 mm. Is that on the right track at all?

For part b I am completely lost, I almost want to define the width of the first dark fringe as being between the central maximum and the 1st bright. But that would count a bunch of light area as being part of the dark! Then I want to say that maybe after all the first dark has a width of zero. After all the light is only completely canceled at one tiny point in space. What am I thinking about wrong? Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Buuuump

If you want, I can try to explain the problem better. Or show more of a solution?

Don't leave me hanging here guys.

1. What is the width of the first dark fringe in a double-slit interference pattern?

The width of the first dark fringe in a double-slit interference pattern is typically determined by the distance between the two slits and the wavelength of the light being used. It can be calculated using the equation: w = λL/d, where w is the width of the first dark fringe, λ is the wavelength of the light, L is the distance from the slits to the screen, and d is the distance between the two slits.

2. How does changing the distance between the slits affect the width of the first dark fringe?

The width of the first dark fringe is directly proportional to the distance between the two slits. This means that as the distance between the slits increases, the width of the first dark fringe also increases. Similarly, if the distance between the slits decreases, the width of the first dark fringe will decrease as well.

3. Is the width of the first dark fringe affected by the wavelength of the light?

Yes, the width of the first dark fringe is affected by the wavelength of the light. As the wavelength increases, the width of the first dark fringe also increases. This is because longer wavelengths of light have a larger diffraction angle, resulting in a wider interference pattern.

4. Can the width of the first dark fringe be manipulated by adjusting the distance between the screen and the slits?

No, the width of the first dark fringe is not affected by the distance between the screen and the slits. This distance only affects the overall size of the interference pattern, not the width of individual fringes.

5. How does the width of the first dark fringe change if the light source is changed?

The width of the first dark fringe will change if the light source's wavelength is changed. As mentioned earlier, longer wavelengths result in wider fringes and shorter wavelengths result in narrower fringes. However, if the light source's intensity or brightness is changed, the width of the first dark fringe will not be affected.