Second bright fringe in Young's Experiment

In summary, the Young's double split experiment involves a narrow beam of light passing through two slits to form an interference pattern on a screen. The distance ##D## between the slits and the screen can be calculated using the formula ##D=\frac{xd}{n\lambda}##, where ##x## is the distance from the central maximum, ##d## is the slit separation, and ##n## is the number of the bright fringe. The proper way to count fringes is by considering the central maximum to be the zeroth maximum, and the second bright fringe corresponds to ##n=1##. Therefore, for the second bright fringe, the correct value of ##n## is ##n=2##, which gives
Andrew Tom
Homework Statement
Second bright fringe in Young's Experiment
Relevant Equations
##n\lambda = \frac{xd}{D}##
In Young's double split experiment, a narrow beam of light of wavelength ##589nm## passes through two slits to form an interference pattern on a screen which is a perpendicular distance of ##D## metres away from the slits. The slit separation is ##0.2mm## and the second bright fringe is ##6mm## from the central maximum. Find ##D##.

The formula given in the book is that the path difference is ##\frac{xd}{D}## where ##x## is the distance from the central maximum, ##d## is slit separation and ##D## is distance of screen from slits. So for bright fringes, ##n\lambda = \frac{xd}{D}## or ##D=\frac{xd}{n\lambda}##. So for the second bright fringe, ##n=1## (since the first one is the central maximum at ##n=0##). Hence ##D=\frac{xd}{\lambda}## which gives ##D=2.04m##. However this is different from the answer at the back of the book.

Physics news on Phys.org
The proper way to count fringes is by considering the central maximum to be the zeroth maximum. When interference is constructive and you divide the path length difference from the slits by the wavelength, you get an integer. This integer is ##n## which is zero at the central maximum because the path lengths are equal. Thus the counting is
Central maximum ##n = 0##
First two maxima ##n = ± 1##
Second two maxima ##n = ± 2##
##\dots##

I think you should use ##n=2##.

kuruman said:
The proper way to count fringes is by considering the central maximum to be the zeroth maximum. When interference is constructive and you divide the path length difference from the slits by the wavelength, you get an integer. This integer is ##n## which is zero at the central maximum because the path lengths are equal. Thus the counting is
Central maximum ##n = 0##
First two maxima ##n = ± 1##
Second two maxima ##n = ± 2##
##\dots##

I think you should use ##n=2##.
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately this also gives a wrong answer (according to book) of D=1.01m.

There is a similar question which I am also getting the wrong answer for so I don't think it is a mistake in the book, however I can't see what I am doing wrong.

Andrew Tom said:
Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately this also gives a wrong answer (according to book) of D=1.01m.

There is a similar question which I am also getting the wrong answer for so I don't think it is a mistake in the book.
D=1.01 m is the correct answer that you get when ##n=2##. The formula is ##D=\frac{xd}{n\lambda}##. With ##n=1##, you got ##D=2.04## m; with ##n=2##, you should get half as much because ##n## is in the denominator.

1. What is the second bright fringe in Young's Experiment?

The second bright fringe in Young's Experiment is a result of constructive interference between two coherent light waves passing through a double slit. It is located at a distance of one wavelength from the central bright fringe.

2. How is the location of the second bright fringe determined?

The location of the second bright fringe is determined by the distance between the two slits, the wavelength of the light, and the distance from the slits to the screen. This can be calculated using the equation: d*sinθ = mλ, where d is the distance between the slits, θ is the angle of the bright fringe, m is the order of the bright fringe, and λ is the wavelength of the light.

3. Why is the second bright fringe brighter than the other fringes?

The second bright fringe is brighter than the other fringes because it is the result of constructive interference between two coherent light waves. This means that the waves are in phase and their amplitudes add together, resulting in a brighter intensity.

4. Can the second bright fringe be observed in other types of interference patterns?

Yes, the second bright fringe can be observed in other types of interference patterns, such as those produced by diffraction gratings. The location of the second bright fringe will depend on the spacing of the grating and the wavelength of the light.

5. How does the distance between the slits affect the location of the second bright fringe?

The distance between the slits affects the location of the second bright fringe by changing the angle of diffraction. As the distance between the slits increases, the angle of diffraction decreases, resulting in a larger distance between the central bright fringe and the second bright fringe.