Bending a Candle Flame - What Causes It?

• Thread starter Lancelot59
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bending
In summary, the conversation discusses the observation of a candle flame bending away from the bottom of a glass of cold water. The potential causes are debated, including cold air pushing hot air currents down or the glass stopping and redirecting the hot air. The suggestion to conduct an experiment is brought up, but the speaker is hesitant due to their mother's potential reaction.
Lancelot59
I'm not sure if this goes here, but there isn't a "General Science" section.

Today I got a glass of really cold water, and noticed a candle on the table. I felt like collecting some carbon on the bottom and held the glass over the flame. The flame bent away from the bottom of the glass before it had touched it.

I wonder what caused this. I think it was either:

1. Cold air fell from the bottom of the glass and pushed the hot air currents down
2. The hot air were stopped by the glass, and as they spread out pulled the overall current down the path of least resistance to the side.
3. A little of both.

What do you think?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you do an experiment or two and determine the cause?

Because my mom will get angry.

What causes a candle flame to bend?

The bending of a candle flame is caused by air flow or movement. When air moves around the flame, it creates different levels of pressure which can push or pull the flame in different directions. This can also be influenced by nearby objects that affect the airflow around the flame.

Why does the flame bend towards a nearby object?

When a flame is burning, it creates a convection current of hot air that rises above the flame. When this hot air reaches a nearby object, it is diverted around the object and forms a low pressure area on the opposite side. This low pressure area then pulls the flame towards the object, causing it to bend.

Can the temperature of the flame affect its bending?

Yes, the temperature of the flame can affect its bending. A hotter flame will produce a stronger convection current, resulting in a more pronounced bending effect. On the other hand, a cooler flame will produce a weaker convection current, resulting in a less pronounced bending effect.

What other factors can influence the bending of a candle flame?

Besides air flow and temperature, other factors that can influence the bending of a candle flame include the shape and size of the candle, the type of fuel used, and the presence of other heat sources or objects that can affect the air flow around the flame.

Is the bending of a candle flame a dangerous phenomenon?

No, the bending of a candle flame is not dangerous. It is a natural and common occurrence in candle flames and is not a cause for concern. However, it is important to always practice proper fire safety measures when using candles.