What Caused the Dancing Pint Glass at the Pub?

• Thread starter MisterDavy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glass
I could prevent and start the motion at will with a wet table.In summary, the conversation was about a strange incident at a pub where an empty glass was seen "dancing" on the bar. The barmaid claimed it was the ghost of the old landlord and the narrator tried to replicate the effect but was unsuccessful. Later, it was suggested that the movement could be caused by a thin film of water on the bar and the narrator plans to practice replicating the dance.
MisterDavy
"Dancing" Pint Glass

Not sure if this really should go here, as I don't personally think it was anything supernatural, though I do lack an explanation for it.

I'd called into a local pub for a quick drink after work a few weeks back. It was pretty empty, just myself, the barmaid, and an older guy, and we were all standing at the bar.

After a while, I noticed that an empty glass on the bar top near me was "dancing."

It was making short, almost deliberate looking movements, drifting forward a little way before sharply turning direction, then doing the same, seemingly moving of its own violition. I pointed it out to the barmaid, who got kind of excited and said it was the ghost of the old landlord, who "slammed doors".

There were no obvious breezes, and when I got the barmaid to give me another empty glass and set it down beside the first, it sadly refused to join in the dance with its friend. When I eventually put a finger on the top of the dancing glass to stop it moving, it refused to start up again. I felt kind of bad that I'd spoiled its fun.

I'm assuming it was being moved by either vibrations or tiny air currents I couldn't feel, but the glass I tried to make dance with it was unaffected, and I tried several times to "reanimate" the first without success.

I'd basically like to know any suggestions to what caused it so that I can replicate the effect - it was a curiously relaxing sight.

Physics news on Phys.org

MisterDavy said:
Not sure if this really should go here, as I don't personally think it was anything supernatural, though I do lack an explanation for it.

I'd called into a local pub for a quick drink after work a few weeks back. It was pretty empty, just myself, the barmaid, and an older guy, and we were all standing at the bar.

After a while, I noticed that an empty glass on the bar top near me was "dancing."

It was making short, almost deliberate looking movements, drifting forward a little way before sharply turning direction, then doing the same, seemingly moving of its own violition. I pointed it out to the barmaid, who got kind of excited and said it was the ghost of the old landlord, who "slammed doors".

There were no obvious breezes, and when I got the barmaid to give me another empty glass and set it down beside the first, it sadly refused to join in the dance with its friend. When I eventually put a finger on the top of the dancing glass to stop it moving, it refused to start up again. I felt kind of bad that I'd spoiled its fun.

I'm assuming it was being moved by either vibrations or tiny air currents I couldn't feel, but the glass I tried to make dance with it was unaffected, and I tried several times to "reanimate" the first without success.

I'd basically like to know any suggestions to what caused it so that I can replicate the effect - it was a curiously relaxing sight.
Quite common, a film of water on the bar will cause the movement, seen it a number of times.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/2000-03/952562476.Ph.r.html

Last edited:

A thin film of water (Or beer, etc) under the glass would act to float the glass along, mostly based on the shape and texture of the bar, nibbling along the path of least resistance. Small amounts of liquid would escape, further changing the shape of the supporting film and paths to follow.

This would explain little seemingly random movements, twists, etc.

Wow, thanks for the rapid replies!

So all I should have to do to replicate this is to dampen the bottom of a glass, and "launch" it gently onto the table top, so the water cushions it from the table surface?

I am going to practice this. Being able to make glasses dance to my whims sounds like a good trick to have in the repertoire.

MisterDavy said:
Wow, thanks for the rapid replies!

So all I should have to do to replicate this is to dampen the bottom of a glass, and "launch" it gently onto the table top, so the water cushions it from the table surface?

I am going to practice this. Being able to make glasses dance to my whims sounds like a good trick to have in the repertoire.
It'll take practice to do it at will. Mostly I'll place a wet glass on a counter and then have to stop it before it goes off the edge. I've never tried to do it on purpose.

I just tried it...its easier to wet the table top, and put the glass down onto it, rather than wetting the glass.

What Caused the Dancing Pint Glass at the Pub?

1. What is the scientific explanation for the dancing pint glass phenomenon?

The dancing pint glass is caused by vibrations from the music or other loud noises in the pub. These vibrations create ripples in the liquid inside the glass, causing it to move and appear as if it is dancing.

2. Why do some pint glasses dance while others do not?

The dancing pint glass phenomenon depends on the specific resonance frequency of the glass. Some glasses are more likely to vibrate at the frequency of the music or noise in the pub, while others may not be affected as much.

3. Can other objects besides pint glasses also exhibit the dancing effect?

Yes, any object with a resonant frequency can potentially exhibit the dancing effect. This includes wine glasses, soda cans, and even plates or utensils. However, it is more commonly observed with pint glasses due to their shape and material.

4. Is the dancing pint glass phenomenon harmful or dangerous?

No, the dancing pint glass phenomenon is not harmful or dangerous. It is simply a visual effect caused by vibrations and does not pose any risk to individuals in the pub.

5. Is there any way to prevent the dancing pint glass effect?

To prevent the dancing pint glass effect, the vibrations in the pub would need to be reduced or eliminated. This could be achieved by using sound-absorbing materials or keeping the noise level at a lower volume.