Register to reply

Vector space, subspace, span

Share this thread:
veege
Mar11-10, 09:01 PM
P: 4
The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Suppose V is a vector space with operations + and * (under the usual operations) and W = {w1, w2, ... , wn} is a subset of V with n vectors. Show Span{W} is a subspace of V.

The attempt at a solution

I know that to show a set is a subspace, we need to show closure under addition and multiplication. I don't where to go from there. Any suggestions?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
Dick
Mar11-10, 09:25 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,228
Maybe start by reviewing what Span{W} means. Quote the definition in your next post, ok?
Dustinsfl
Mar11-10, 09:30 PM
P: 629
Start with multiplication.

Span W = c*a*w1+...+c*an*wn

Does this exist in V?

For addition, add Span W to Span R or whatever you want to call it.

veege
Mar11-10, 09:52 PM
P: 4
Vector space, subspace, span

Quote Quote by Dick View Post
Maybe start by reviewing what Span{W} means. Quote the definition in your next post, ok?

Quote Quote by Dustinsfl View Post
Start with multiplication.

Span W = c*a*w1+...+c*an*wn

Does this exist in V?

For addition, add Span W to Span R or whatever you want to call it.

The span is basically the set of all linear combinations of the vectors w1, w2, ... , wn. So then, I can define some vector S and some vector T in terms of w's:

S = c1*w1 + c2*w2 + ... + cn*wn

T = k1*w1 + k2*w2 + ... + kn*wn

I think I get it now. I can see how S + T will be closed, and some constant a*S will be closed.

Register to reply