Vector Subspaces: Determining U as a Subspace of M4x4 Matrices

mathiebug7
Determine whether the following subsets U of M4x4is a subspace of the vector space V of all M4x4 matrices, with
the standard operations of matrix addition and scalar multiplication. If is not a subspace provide an example to
demonstrate a property that U does not possess.
a. The set U of all 4x4 upper symmetric matrices

Physics news on Phys.org
What are upper symmetric matrices? Doesn't sound symmetric though. And what do you think? You should show us your work!

Likes FactChecker
mathiebug7 said:
a. The set U of all 4x4 upper symmetric matrices
I am familiar with "upper triangular" and "symmetric", but I don't know what "upper symmetric" is.

In any case, you should proceed step-by-step through the definition of a vector space and show whether or not each requirement is satisfied. If any of them are difficult, we can give hints and guidance on textbook-type problems where you show your work.

Likes fresh_42
fresh_42 said:
What are upper symmetric matrices? Doesn't sound symmetric though. And what do you think?
I'm guessing diagonal matrices. :wink:

• Haha
Likes FactChecker and fresh_42
vela said:
This could be a way out if there wasn't that "U" and the extensive description of how to find a counterexample. Very suspicious, Watson!

fresh_42 said:
This could be a way out if there wasn't that "U" and the extensive description of how to find a counterexample. Very suspicious, Watson!
The OP seems to have posed only the (a) part of the question. Presumably the b, c, etc parts have been left out …

vela said:
That certainly would work. This gets my vote.

Ultimately, OP needs to show operational closure under addition, scaling.

Likes FactChecker
WWGD said:
Ultimately, OP needs to show operational closure under addition, scaling.
Good point. IMO, for a beginning student, it would be good for him to go down the properties and list the ones that are inherited. Then prove the closure properties that are not just inherited.

Likes WWGD

What is a vector subspace?

A vector subspace is a subset of a vector space that is itself a vector space with respect to the same vector addition and scalar multiplication operations.

How do you determine if a set U is a subspace of M4x4 matrices?

To determine if a set U is a subspace of M4x4 matrices, you need to check if U satisfies the three properties of a subspace: closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and containing the zero vector.

What are the properties of a vector subspace?

The properties of a vector subspace include closure under addition (if u and v are in the subspace, then u + v is also in the subspace), closure under scalar multiplication (if u is in the subspace, then ku is also in the subspace for any scalar k), and containing the zero vector (the subspace must contain the zero vector).

Can a set of matrices be a vector subspace?

Yes, a set of matrices can be a vector subspace if it satisfies the properties of a vector subspace, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication, and containing the zero vector.

Why is it important to determine if a set is a vector subspace?

Determining if a set is a vector subspace is important because vector subspaces have many useful properties and can be used to simplify calculations and proofs in linear algebra. It also helps in understanding the structure of vector spaces and their subsets.