How to show a subspace must be all of a vector space

In summary, a subspace is a subset of a vector space that is closed under addition and scalar multiplication. To prove that a subspace must be all of a vector space, one must show that it satisfies the three defining properties of a vector space. A subspace can be a proper subset of a vector space, and some common examples include the x-y plane, polynomials of degree n or less, and symmetric matrices. To prove that a given subset is a subspace, one must show that it satisfies the defining properties and is a subset of the vector space.
GlassBones

Homework Statement

Show that the only subspaces of ##V = R^2## are the zero subspace, ##R^2## itself,
and the lines through the origin. (Hint: Show that if W is a subspace of
##R^2## that contains two nonzero vectors lying along different lines through
the origin, then W must be all of ##R^2##)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose W is a subspace of ##R^2## that contains two nonzero vectors lying along different lines through the origin ( ##x,y \in W, ## ##x,y≠0, cx\neq y ## and ##cy\neq x ##)

Not sure how to proceed to show W must be all of ##R^2##. Intuitively this makes sense since I can take a linear combination of vectors in W that should get me to any point in ##R^2##. I don't know how to make a formal proof.

Side question: If i have nonzero vectors, is it implied that it goes through the origin?

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest another approach. Let ##V## be a subspace of ##\mathbb{R}^2##. What can you tell about the possible dimensions? What does each dimension correspond too?

On another note, that the two vectors are not on the same line means that they are linearly independent, so they span a 2 dimensional space.

The possible dimensions in V are 1,2? 1 corresponds to a point and 2 corresponds to a line.

GlassBones said:

Homework Statement

Show that the only subspaces of ##V = R^2## are the zero subspace, ##R^2## itself,
and the lines through the origin. (Hint: Show that if W is a subspace of
##R^2## that contains two nonzero vectors lying along different lines through
the origin, then W must be all of ##R^2##)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Suppose W is a subspace of ##R^2## that contains two nonzero vectors lying along different lines through the origin ( ##x,y \in W, ## ##x,y≠0, cx\neq y ## and ##cy\neq x ##)

Not sure how to proceed to show W must be all of ##R^2##. Intuitively this makes sense since I can take a linear combination of vectors in W that should get me to any point in ##R^2##. I don't know how to make a formal proof.

Side question: If i have nonzero vectors, is it implied that it goes through the origin?

All vectors in a vector space start at the origin, if you want to put it that way.

In terms of a proof, you could show that every vector in ##\mathbb{R^2}## is a linear combination of your two vectors.

PS I'm assuming you haven't covered bases and dimensions yet.

Likes GlassBones
PeroK said:
PS I'm assuming you haven't covered bases and dimensions yet.

This is correct.

GlassBones said:
The possible dimensions in V are 1,2? 1 corresponds to a point and 2 corresponds to a line.

False. 0,1,2

0 corresponds to the null space
1 to a line
2 to the entire plane

Likes GlassBones
GlassBones said:
This is correct.
Okay, so go with my suggestion above.

Math_QED said:
On another note, that the two vectors are not on the same line means that they are linearly independent, so they span a 2 dimensional space.

PeroK said:
In terms of a proof, you could show that every vector in R2 is a linear combination of your two vectors.

Okay this seems to be the most straight forward way, I think I was over complicating things.

Math_QED said:
0 corresponds to the null space
It's probably clearer to say that a dimension of 0 corresponds to the origin-- (0, 0) in ##\mathbb R^2##, or the zero vector.

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies all the properties of a vector space, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How can I show that a subspace must be all of a vector space?

To show that a subspace is all of a vector space, you must prove that it satisfies all the properties of a vector space, including closure under addition and scalar multiplication, and that it contains the zero vector.

3. Can a subspace be a proper subset of a vector space?

Yes, a subspace can be a proper subset of a vector space. A proper subset means that it is a subset but not equal to the original set.

4. What are some common examples of subspaces?

Some common examples of subspaces include the x-y plane in three-dimensional space, the set of all polynomials of degree n or less, and the set of all symmetric matrices.

5. How can I prove that a subset is a subspace?

To prove that a subset is a subspace, you must show that it satisfies all the properties of a vector space, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication. You can also prove that it is a subspace by showing that it can be generated by a set of basis vectors.