Simple ising model: Magnetic susceptibility derivation

In summary, the conversation discusses deriving an expression for the magnetic susceptibility in terms of the variance of the magnetisation for a simple 2d square Ising model. The participant suggests using the partition function and taking derivatives to find the relation between the average of the magnetization and the partition function.
randomwalk
I'm stuck on a question about deriving an expression for the magnetic susceptibility in terms of the variance of the magnetisation for a simple 2d square ising model.

I get the derivation of the specific heat, and I know am supposed to do something similar to get to the expression for susceptibility d<M>/dH. But how? Any help would be much appreciated.

wuqa1t.png

[beta is 1/KT]

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, take a look at the partition function for the Ising Model and what the average of some quantity A is:

[tex]Z = \sum_{\{S_i\}}\exp\left[K\sum_{<i,j>}S_iS_j + \beta H \sum_i S_i \right][/tex]

[tex]\langle A \rangle = Z^{-1}\ \sum_{\{S_i\}}A\exp\left[K\sum_{<i,j>}S_iS_j + \beta H \sum_i S_i \right][/tex]

Let the magnetization be [itex]M = \sum_i S_i[/itex] . Note that if you take a derivative of Z with respect to H it brings down the sum over the S_i, so you get the average of M times Z. If you take two derivatives you get the average of M^2 times Z (up to some betas). Compare to the derivative of the average of M with respect to H to get the relation your source claims.

1. What is the Simple Ising Model?

The Simple Ising Model is a mathematical model used in statistical mechanics to describe the behavior of a system of interacting particles. It is commonly used to study the properties of magnetic materials.

2. How is Magnetic Susceptibility derived in the Simple Ising Model?

Magnetic Susceptibility is derived by taking the derivative of the average magnetization with respect to the applied magnetic field. This can be calculated using the Ising model Hamiltonian and statistical mechanics principles.

3. What are the assumptions made in the Simple Ising Model?

The Simple Ising Model assumes that the particles in the system only interact with their nearest neighbors, and that the energy of the system is solely dependent on the orientation of these particles. It also assumes that the particles have fixed spin values and that there is no external magnetic field present.

4. What is the significance of Magnetic Susceptibility in the Simple Ising Model?

Magnetic Susceptibility is a measure of the response of a material to an applied magnetic field. In the Simple Ising Model, it is used to study the behavior of magnetic materials and to understand their phase transitions.

5. Can the Simple Ising Model be applied to real-world systems?

While the Simple Ising Model is a simplified version of reality, it can still provide valuable insights into the behavior of real-world systems. It has been used to study the properties of magnetic materials such as ferromagnets and antiferromagnets, and has been extended to include other factors such as temperature and external fields.