One-Dimensional Ising Model in Bethe Approximation

In summary, the magnetization for the one-dimensional Ising model in a magnetic field in the Bethe approximation is close to the exact result, while the magnetization for the one-dimensional Ising model in an external field is far from the exact result.
MathematicalPhysicist
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The following question and its solution is from Bergersen's and Plischke's:
Calculate the magnetization for the one-dimensional Ising model in
a magnetic field in the Bethe approximation and compare with the exact
result (3.38).
Equation (3.38) is:
$$m = \frac{\sinh (\beta h)}{\sqrt{\sinh^2(\beta h) + e^{-4\beta J}}}$$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

They provide the solution in their solution manual which I don't understand how did they come to it.

Let us define: ##x=e^{\beta h}; \ y=e^{2\beta J} ; \ z=e^{2\beta h'}##.

We have:
$$(3.2) \ \ Z_C = xyz+xy^{-1}z-1+2x+x^{-1}y^{-1}z+x^{-1}yz^{-1}+2x^{-1}$$
$$(3.3) \ \ \langle \sigma_0 \rangle =\frac{1}{Z_C} [xyz+xy^{-1}z-1+2x-x^{-1}y^{-1}z-x^{-1}yz^{-1}-2x^{-1}]$$
$$\langle \sigma_1 \rangle = \frac{1}{Z_C} [ xyz-xy^{-1}z^{-1}+x^{-1}y^{-1}z-x^{-1}yz^{-1}]$$
I hope I don't have a typo.

After that they are equating between ##\sigma_0## and ##\sigma_1## and solve for ##z##,

My problem is how to derive the above three equations, (3.2) and (3.3), I'm lost.[/quote]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone?

I don't have a copy of your text but the Bethe approximation considers a cluster of a central spin ##\sigma_0## in an external field h, and two surrounding spins (in the 1-s Ising model), in an effective field h', which mimics the remaining crystalline lattice. The spin Hamiltonian of this cluster is:$$\mathcal H_c=\mathcal J\sigma_0 \left (\sigma_1 + \sigma_2 \right ) - h\sigma_0 -h'\left (\sigma_1 + \sigma_2 \right )$$
and the partition function of this cluster is:$$\mathcal Z_c=\sum_{ \sigma_i } exp\left (-\beta \mathcal H_c \right )$$
The spins in the sum can take the values +1 or -1. Using the notation from your book construct the following table:
##\sigma_0## ##\sigma_1## ##\sigma_2## ##\mathcal Z_c##
## 1## ## 1## ## 1## ## xyz##
## 1## ## -1## ## 1## ## x##
## 1## ## 1## ## -1## ## x##
## 1## ## -1## ## -1## ## xy^{-1}z^{-1}##
## -1## ## 1## ## 1## ## x^{-1}y^{-1}z##
## -1## ## -1## ## 1## ## x^{-1}##
## -1## ## 1## ## -1## ## x^{-1}##
## -1## ## -1## ## -1## ## x^{-1}yz^{-1}##
Having found ##\mathcal Z_c## I assume you can calculate:
$$ < \sigma_0 >=\frac {1} {\beta}\frac {\partial ln \mathcal Z_c} {\partial h}$$
and
$$ < \sigma_1 >=\frac {1} {\beta}\frac {\partial ln \mathcal Z_c} {\partial h'}$$

Likes MathematicalPhysicist

What is the One-Dimensional Ising Model in Bethe Approximation?

The One-Dimensional Ising Model in Bethe Approximation is a mathematical model used to study the behavior of magnetism in one-dimensional systems. It is a simplified version of the original Ising Model, which was developed to explain the magnetization of materials at the atomic level. In the Bethe Approximation, the interactions between the atoms are assumed to be only between nearest neighbors, making it easier to solve mathematically.

How does the Bethe Approximation differ from other approaches to the Ising Model?

The Bethe Approximation differs from other approaches to the Ising Model in that it only considers nearest neighbor interactions and assumes a specific lattice structure. This simplification allows for easier mathematical calculations and provides insight into the behavior of magnetism in one-dimensional systems. Other approaches may consider long-range interactions and different lattice structures, making them more complex but potentially more accurate.

What are the limitations of the One-Dimensional Ising Model in Bethe Approximation?

Like any mathematical model, the One-Dimensional Ising Model in Bethe Approximation has its limitations. It assumes a one-dimensional lattice and only considers nearest neighbor interactions, which may not accurately reflect the behavior of real materials. Additionally, it does not take into account quantum effects, which may be significant at the atomic level.

What is the significance of the One-Dimensional Ising Model in Bethe Approximation?

The One-Dimensional Ising Model in Bethe Approximation has been used to study the behavior of magnetism in various materials, such as ferromagnets and antiferromagnets. It provides a simplified and intuitive understanding of how magnetic properties arise from interactions between individual atoms. It also serves as a starting point for more complex models that consider higher dimensions and long-range interactions.

Can the One-Dimensional Ising Model in Bethe Approximation be applied to real-world systems?

While the One-Dimensional Ising Model in Bethe Approximation may not accurately reflect the behavior of real materials, it can still provide valuable insights and predictions. It has been applied to various physical systems, such as spin chains and polymers, with reasonable success. However, it should be used with caution and in conjunction with experimental data to fully understand the behavior of real-world systems.