Properties of metals and nonmetals ?

In summary, metals and non-metals have different physical and chemical properties. Physical properties are ones that can be tested, such as conductivity. Chemical properties refer to how the material reacts with other chemicals. To determine if something is a metal or non-metal, several scientific procedures can be used, such as conductivity testing, melting point testing, and chemical reaction testing.
arwen^undomiel
metals:
physical properties -
chemical properties -

nonmetals:
physical properties -
chemical properties -

i will be very thankful to anyone who fill up this table and explain the difference between chemical and physical properties

and another thing.. i need five scientific procedures listed and briefly described. can you help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
I won't personally just fill in the table for you (others here might), but I'd be happy to help you determine whether ideas you offer are right or wrong.

The difference between chemical and physical properties; physical properties are ones you test. Chemical properties are properties of how the metal/nonmetal reacts with other chemicals, such as water, acids, bases etc. At least, that's how I expect your assigment meant them.

Finally; scientific procedures for what?

thank you for explaining this, i needed to have a clue what they want from me.
in my assignment it is written: list five to ten scientific procedures and describe briefly each of them. I'm not quite sure what this means and that's why i need an example of a scientific procedure in order to be able to describe it by myself next time..

Are you sure they give no more details? Scientific procedure could mean anything from an example of an experiment to more general methods such as graphical, computational or mathematical analysis.

Oh and as for the properties. Here's a clue. Metals have free electrons where as non-metals (generally don't. I leave you to think how this affects the physical properties of the materials

My guess is that by scientific procedures, they mean scientific procedures that would determine whether something was a metal or non-metal. I'll give one physical property of metals to use as an example: metals are conductive. This is a result (though not the only result!) of the free electrons Beer-monster mentioned.

Since metals are conductive, one procedure to determine if something is a metal, is to test its conductivity. Of course, some non-metals are conductive too, but this test combined with others would help determine whether something was a metal or not; that's why they asked for many examples.

1. What are the main differences between metals and nonmetals?

The main differences between metals and nonmetals lie in their physical and chemical properties. Metals tend to have high melting and boiling points, are good conductors of heat and electricity, and are malleable and ductile. Nonmetals, on the other hand, tend to have low melting and boiling points, are poor conductors of heat and electricity, and are generally brittle in nature.

2. How do the properties of metals and nonmetals affect their uses?

The unique properties of metals and nonmetals make them suitable for different purposes. Metals, with their high strength and conductivity, are commonly used in construction, electrical wiring, and manufacturing of tools and machinery. Nonmetals, with their low reactivity and insulating properties, are often used in the production of glass, ceramics, and plastics.

3. Can an element be both a metal and a nonmetal?

Yes, an element can exhibit properties of both metals and nonmetals, making it a metalloid. Examples of metalloids include silicon, germanium, and arsenic. These elements have characteristics of both metals and nonmetals, such as being semi-conductors and having intermediate melting and boiling points.

4. How do the properties of metals and nonmetals change under different conditions?

The properties of metals and nonmetals can change under different conditions, such as temperature and pressure. For example, some metals may become more reactive at high temperatures, while some nonmetals may become more conductive at low temperatures. Additionally, applying pressure can alter the strength and ductility of metals, while it can change the state of nonmetals from solid to liquid or gas.

5. What is the Periodic Table and how does it relate to the properties of metals and nonmetals?

The Periodic Table is a chart that organizes all known elements based on their atomic structure and chemical properties. The elements are arranged in rows and columns, with metals on the left side, nonmetals on the right side, and metalloids in between. The properties of metals and nonmetals follow a general trend as you move across the table from left to right, with metals becoming less reactive and nonmetals becoming more reactive.