Aug25-04, 08:21 AM
P: 5
metals:
physical properties -
chemical properties -

nonmetals:
physical properties -
chemical properties -

i will be very thankful to anyone who fill up this table and explain the difference between chemical and physical properties

and another thing.. i need five scientific procedures listed and briefly described. can you help me?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
Locrian
Aug25-04, 08:34 AM
P: 1,745
I won't personally just fill in the table for you (others here might), but I'd be happy to help you determine whether ideas you offer are right or wrong.

The difference between chemical and physical properties; physical properties are ones you test. Chemical properties are properties of how the metal/nonmetal reacts with other chemicals, such as water, acids, bases etc. At least, that's how I expect your assigment meant them.

Finally; scientific procedures for what?
arwen^undomiel
Aug25-04, 08:50 AM
P: 5
thank you for explaining this, i needed to have a clue what they want from me.
in my assignment it is written: list five to ten scientific procedures and describe briefly each of them. i'm not quite sure what this means and that's why i need an example of a scientific procedure in order to be able to describe it by myself next time..

Beer-monster
Aug25-04, 09:04 AM
P: 293
Properties of metals and nonmetals...?

Are you sure they give no more details? Scientific procedure could mean anything from an example of an experiment to more general methods such as graphical, computational or mathematical analysis.
Beer-monster
Aug25-04, 09:05 AM
P: 293
Oh and as for the properties. Here's a clue. Metals have free electrons where as non-metals (generally don't. I leave you to think how this affects the physical properties of the materials
Locrian
Aug25-04, 09:14 AM
P: 1,745
My guess is that by scientific procedures, they mean scientific procedures that would determine whether something was a metal or non-metal. I'll give one physical property of metals to use as an example: metals are conductive. This is a result (though not the only result!) of the free electrons Beer-monster mentioned.

Since metals are conductive, one procedure to determine if something is a metal, is to test its conductivity. Of course, some non-metals are conductive too, but this test combined with others would help determine whether something was a metal or not; that's why they asked for many examples.

Register to reply