Electromagnetism: Force between two charged plates

In summary, the conversation discusses using Coulomb's Law to find the electric force between two metal plates. The individual is confused about how to use surface integration due to the differently charged plates and the varying distance between the area elements. They suggest treating the charge distribution as uniform and mention using an approximation for the field near a large charged plate.
oondi
Homework Statement
Coulomb's Law: finding electric force between two metal plates.
Relevant Equations
F=q1*q2/(r^2) (unit position vector)
Hello, I need to find the force between the two metal plates, one is charged positively, and another is charged negatively.
I have to use surface integration, but then I get two surface integrations because of the two differently charged plates.
Now I am confused. Please help me.
Thank you in advance

Attachments

• force.jpg
    force.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 107
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
oondi said:
Homework Statement:: Coulomb's Law: finding electric force between two metal plates.
Relevant Equations:: F=q1*q2/(r^2) (unit position vector)

I have to use surface integration, but then I get two surface integrations because of the two differently charged plates.
Do you mean you get a double integral?
The difficulty, surely, is that the distance between the area elements varies.
Being metal plates, the charge distribution will not be quite uniform, but I would treat it as such.
What is the usual approximation of the field near a large charged plate?

1. What is the force between two charged plates?

The force between two charged plates is known as the electrostatic force. It is the force that exists between two charged objects and is caused by the attraction or repulsion of the electric charges.

2. How is the force between two charged plates calculated?

The force between two charged plates can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force is directly proportional to the product of the two charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the charges.

3. What factors affect the force between two charged plates?

The force between two charged plates is affected by the magnitude of the charges on the plates, the distance between the plates, and the medium between the plates. It is also affected by the presence of other charges in the surrounding environment.

4. Can the force between two charged plates be repulsive?

Yes, the force between two charged plates can be either attractive or repulsive, depending on the charges on the plates. Like charges (positive-positive or negative-negative) will repel each other, while opposite charges (positive-negative) will attract each other.

5. How is electromagnetism related to the force between two charged plates?

Electromagnetism is the branch of physics that deals with the study of electric and magnetic fields and their interactions. The force between two charged plates is an example of the interaction between electric fields, and it is a fundamental aspect of electromagnetism.