How Does Electric Putty Conduct Electricity Compared to Metals Like Copper?

In summary, Alaya is seeking information about the conducting properties of electric putty for her physics coursework. She is unsure if it behaves like a metal such as copper in terms of electron movement. Despite researching online and asking her teacher, she has not been able to find any information. She shares a link to a similar product, but is unsure if it is the same type of putty.
Alaya1
Hi,

I'm doing one of my physics HL coursework's (IB) on the behaviour of electric putty when conducting electricity. My teacher can't explain to me what electric putty actually is and I can't find it on the internet, so could anyone tell me if the conducting properties of electric putty are the same as those of a normal metal like copper? I mean the whole electron-movement thing? Or is electric putty an exception and something else is going on? I've spent ages looking on the Internet and I really can't find anything.

Thanks already,
Alaya

Physics news on Phys.org
Alaya1 said:
Hi,

I'm doing one of my physics HL coursework's (IB) on the behaviour of electric putty when conducting electricity. My teacher can't explain to me what electric putty actually is and I can't find it on the internet, so could anyone tell me if the conducting properties of electric putty are the same as those of a normal metal like copper? I mean the whole electron-movement thing? Or is electric putty an exception and something else is going on? I've spent ages looking on the Internet and I really can't find anything.

Thanks already,
Alaya

Never heard of it. Is there a brand name or manufacturer's name? What's on the packaging?

Perhaps something like this: http://www.rainbowtech.net/products/view.php?cn=4035#basic

Putty for sealing electrical conduits, etc.

Related to How Does Electric Putty Conduct Electricity Compared to Metals Like Copper?

1. What is electric putty?

Electric putty, also known as conductive putty or electrically conductive putty, is a type of putty that has the ability to conduct electricity. It is made up of a mixture of silicone rubber and conductive particles, such as graphite or carbon.

2. How does electric putty conduct electricity?

Electric putty conducts electricity because of the conductive particles within its composition. When an electric current is applied to the putty, the particles align and allow the flow of electricity through the putty.

3. What are the properties of electric putty?

Electric putty has several unique properties, including its ability to conduct electricity, its stretchability, and its ability to change shape when subjected to a magnetic field. It is also non-toxic and non-flammable, making it safe for use in various applications.

4. What are some common uses for electric putty?

Electric putty has a variety of applications, including in electronics as a conductive adhesive or as a sensor for touch-sensitive devices. It is also used in education and science experiments to demonstrate the properties of electricity and magnetism. Additionally, it can be used for artistic and creative purposes, such as making sculptures or jewelry.

5. How do you care for electric putty?

To maintain the properties of electric putty, it should be stored in an airtight container to prevent it from drying out. It should also be kept away from extreme temperatures and direct sunlight. If the putty becomes dirty, it can be cleaned with a damp cloth. It is important to avoid getting water or other liquids on the putty as it can affect its conductivity.