Finding the velocity of wind that affects an airplane

In summary: I'm unsure where to go from there and how exactly to answer the question. My initial thought was that there would not be just a portion of the wind's velocity that would affect the plane's. 172 km/h seems too simple. Please help clarify, thank you.In summary, the pilot can measure the speed of the wind "in comparison" to the plane. If the plane is moving at 145 km/h, the wind would be moving at 172 km/h in the same direction.
Drex7

Homework Statement

A small airplane flies at a velocity of 145 km/h toward the south as observed by a person on the gound. The airplane plot measures an air velocity of 172 km/h south. What is the velocity of the wind that affects the plane?

Beyond knowing the velocity of both the plane and the wind and that they are both vector quantities going in the same direction, I'm unsure where to go from there and how exactly to answer the question. My initial thought was that there would not be just a portion of the wind's velocity that would affect the plane's. 172 km/h seems too simple. Please help clarify, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not really sure about what I'm going to say now, so please correct me, but in my opinion what the pilot can measure is the speed of the wind "in comaprison" (damn, my lack of english vocabulary is disturbing) to the plane. Imagine that it doesn't say "wind" in the exercise, but "another plane", and our pilot measures, that it's flying 172 km/h in the same direction he is. What velocity of the other plane would someone standing on the ground observe, if "our" plane was flying 145 km/h?

Welcome to PF!

Hi Drex7! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Drex7 said:
A small airplane flies at a velocity of 145 km/h toward the south as observed by a person on the gound. The airplane plot measures an air velocity of 172 km/h south. What is the velocity of the wind that affects the plane?

Beyond knowing the velocity of both the plane and the wind …

No, air velocity … also called airspeed … is the speed of the plane relative to the air (rather like the speed of a ship relative to the water). :wink:

(and yes, it is a stupid name, but you're going to have to put up with it! o:))

1. How does wind velocity affect an airplane's flight?

The velocity of wind can greatly impact an airplane's flight in several ways. For example, a headwind (wind blowing in the opposite direction of the airplane's travel) can slow down the airplane's speed and increase the time it takes to reach a destination. On the other hand, a tailwind (wind blowing in the same direction as the airplane's travel) can increase the airplane's speed and decrease travel time. Additionally, strong crosswinds can make it difficult for pilots to maintain control of the airplane during takeoff and landing.

2. What is the instrument used to measure wind velocity on an airplane?

The instrument used to measure wind velocity on an airplane is called an airspeed indicator. This instrument measures the relative wind speed by comparing the pressure of the air entering a pitot tube (a small tube mounted on the outside of the airplane) to the static air pressure in the surrounding atmosphere.

3. How do pilots adjust for wind velocity during a flight?

Pilots use a variety of techniques to adjust for wind velocity during a flight. They may choose to fly at a higher or lower altitude where wind conditions are more favorable, adjust their heading to fly with or against the wind, or make adjustments to the airplane's speed and flaps to compensate for the wind's effect on lift and drag.

4. What is the maximum wind velocity an airplane can safely fly in?

The maximum wind velocity an airplane can safely fly in varies depending on the type of airplane and its weight. However, most commercial airplanes are designed to safely fly in wind speeds up to 40-50 knots (46-58 mph). Pilots also have specific training and procedures for navigating in strong winds to ensure the safety of the flight.

5. How does wind velocity affect fuel efficiency in airplanes?

Wind velocity can have a significant impact on fuel efficiency in airplanes. A headwind can increase the amount of time and fuel needed for a flight, while a tailwind can decrease it. Pilots carefully consider wind conditions when planning a flight to optimize fuel efficiency and reduce costs. Additionally, some modern airplanes have technology that can automatically adjust flight paths to take advantage of favorable winds and save on fuel consumption.