Plane Traveling against the wind

• Thread starter larrylancaster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plane Wind
In summary: How could the airplane be “going from point A (origin) to point B 400 km directly south of point A at 220km/hr north”?The airplane should orient itself so that its heading is 16.4 degrees relative to the wind direction.
larrylancaster
Homework Statement
This was a two step question on my homework. I got the same answer for both so I think I got it wrong
Relevant Equations
Sin(@) = o/h Tan(@) = o/a
So the question was if a plane is going from point A (origin) to point B 400 km directly south of point A at 220km/hr north and there is a wind going 62 km/hr east to west, what angle should the plane orient to go straight from point A to point B? I got something lik 16.4 degrees. The second part was if the plane flies straight north to south, what angle will the plane be heading? Wouldn't the answer be the same for both?

Physics news on Phys.org
larrylancaster said:
Homework Statement:: This was a two step question on my homework. I got the same answer for both so I think I got it wrong
Relevant Equations:: Sin(@) = o/h Tan(@) = o/a

I got something lik 16.4 degrees.
16.4 degrees measured with respect to what? That is insufficient to specify direction. Same for the second part.

On edit:
Better yet, give the headings using the aviation convention of heading angle increasing clockwise from zero (due North) to 360° as shown in the picture below.

Heading.png

Last edited:
So the question was if a plane is going from point A (origin) to point B 400 km directly south of point A at 220km/hr north and there is a wind going 62 km/hr east to west, what angle should the plane orient to go straight from point A to point B? I got something lik 16.4 degrees. The second part was if the plane flies straight north to south, what angle will the plane be heading? Wouldn't the answer be the same for both?
Sorta crappily stated question.

The two aren't the same : the first part implies the nose is not pointed due south (but it still flies due south), the second it is pointed due south (but will miss point B).

Likes Lnewqban
larrylancaster said:
Homework Statement:: This was a two step question on my homework. I got the same answer for both so I think I got it wrong
Relevant Equations:: Sin(@) = o/h Tan(@) = o/a

Welcome!
Could you post the full text as shown in the original question?
How could the airplane be “going from point A (origin) to point B 400 km directly south of point A at 220km/hr north”?

Likes nasu
Lnewqban said:
How could the airplane be “going from point A (origin) to point B 400 km directly south of point A at 220km/hr north”?
Its heading was recorded just as it was about to pass over the North Pole? :oldbiggrin:

...or...

The "62"km/hr wind is missing a zero. :woot:

Likes Lnewqban

1. How does wind affect a plane's speed and travel time?

Wind can significantly impact a plane's speed and travel time. When a plane is flying against the wind, it will experience a headwind, which can slow down its speed and increase travel time. On the other hand, when a plane is flying with the wind, it will experience a tailwind, which can increase its speed and decrease travel time.

2. Can a plane fly directly against the wind?

Yes, a plane can fly directly against the wind. However, it will require more power and fuel to maintain its speed and altitude. Pilots must carefully calculate the wind speed and direction to ensure safe and efficient flight.

3. How does wind affect a plane's fuel consumption?

Wind can impact a plane's fuel consumption in several ways. When flying against the wind, the plane will require more power, which means it will burn more fuel. Additionally, wind can create turbulence, which can cause the plane to use more fuel to maintain its stability.

4. Why do planes sometimes change their altitude during flight?

Planes may change their altitude during flight to avoid strong headwinds or take advantage of tailwinds. By flying at a different altitude, the pilot can adjust the plane's speed and take advantage of the wind to save fuel and improve travel time.

5. How do pilots account for wind when planning a flight?

Pilots use weather forecasts and wind charts to determine the wind speed and direction along their planned route. They will then adjust their flight plan to account for the wind, such as changing altitude or adjusting their speed. Pilots also continuously monitor the wind during the flight and make any necessary adjustments to ensure a safe and efficient journey.