Finding Wind Velocity for a Westward-Bound Airplane

In summary, the problem involves finding the wind velocity given the airspeed and displacement of an airplane pilot. By setting up a coordinate system and using the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions, the wind velocity can be determined to be 44.7 km/h at an angle of 63.43 degrees south of west.
Toranc3

Homework Statement

An airplane pilot sets a compass course due west and maintains an airspeed of 220 km/h. After flying for a time of 0.500 h, she finds herself over a town a distance 120 km west and a distance 20 km south of her starting point.

Find the wind velocity

Homework Equations

Vp/e= vp/a +va/e

The Attempt at a Solution

\

vp/e= velocity of plane relative to earth
vp/a = velocity of plane relative to air
va/e= velocity of air relative to earth
Vp/e= vp/a +va/e

This is all I have and I am stuck.

Vp/e=220km/h+va/e
I also did the pythagorean theorem with the distances given to get my resultant.

R=sqrt[ (120km)^(2) + (20km)^(2) ]
R=122 km.
Not sure what to do with this though. Could somebody point me in the right direction?

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
try working with the x and y components of the velocity acting on the airplane. once you have found the x and y components of the winds velocity u should be able to find its resultant speed and directon.

hmm could i get some more hints?

try setting up and x and y axis, and work with the velocities of the air relative to the plane and vise versa using information provided. See how you used pythag for the displacement to find the resultant displacement. Try instead find the velocity of the air in the x plane and y plane and use pythag to solve. If you don't know what i mean I will post my working. (by the way what is the answer, just to be sure i am correct haha)

Bostonpancake0 said:
try setting up and x and y axis, and work with the velocities of the air relative to the plane and vise versa using information provided. See how you used pythag for the displacement to find the resultant displacement. Try instead find the velocity of the air in the x plane and y plane and use pythag to solve. If you don't know what i mean I will post my working. (by the way what is the answer, just to be sure i am correct haha)

44.7km/h 63.43 degrees south of west. Could I see your drawing too?

sorry if its messy

Attachments

• help.jpg
    help.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 621
sorry theta is meant to be on other side

Bostonpancake0 said:
sorry theta is meant to be on other side

thanks buddy

You don't have to have a coordinate system for problems like this. You can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the "actual course" of the air plane and arctan(20/120) gives the angle below the horizontal (west). So you know the lengths of two sides of the triangle (110 km west on the compass course and the length above) and the angle between those sides, arctan(20/120). You can use the cosine law to find the third side of the triangle and the sine law to find the angles.

Related to Finding Wind Velocity for a Westward-Bound Airplane

1. What is plane relative velocity?

Plane relative velocity refers to the speed of an object (such as a plane) relative to another object (such as the ground or another plane). It takes into account the motion of both objects and is measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second or miles per hour.

2. How is plane relative velocity calculated?

To calculate plane relative velocity, you need to know the velocity of both objects and the angle at which they are moving relative to each other. The formula for plane relative velocity is Vr = √(Va^2 + Vb^2 - 2VaVbcosθ), where Vr is the relative velocity, Va and Vb are the velocities of the two objects, and θ is the angle between their paths.

3. Why is plane relative velocity important?

Plane relative velocity is important because it helps pilots and air traffic controllers determine the speed and direction of planes in relation to each other. This is crucial for ensuring safe and efficient air travel.

4. How does wind affect plane relative velocity?

Wind can affect plane relative velocity by either increasing or decreasing it, depending on the direction and speed of the wind. If the wind is blowing in the same direction as the plane's motion, it will increase the plane's relative velocity. If the wind is blowing in the opposite direction, it will decrease the plane's relative velocity.

5. Can plane relative velocity be negative?

Yes, plane relative velocity can be negative. This occurs when the two objects are moving in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for relative velocity. It is important to pay attention to the direction of the velocity vector when calculating and interpreting plane relative velocity.