Magnitude and direction of force

In summary, a new member of Physics Forums is seeking help with a problem involving a horizontal bend in a pipeline. The bend gradually decreases from 600mm to 300mm and deflects the flow through an angle of 60 degrees. The member is unsure how to solve the problem due to the gradual decrease and is asking for help in the Homework & Coursework Questions forum. They have been advised to list relevant equations and show their attempt at solving the problem.
xxninixx
Hi everyone. I am new here so i don't know how this place works.
I got a problem::

A horizontal bend in a pipeline conveys water at a discharge at 1000l/s gradually reduces from 600mm to 300mm and deflects the flow through an angle of 60 degrees. At the larger end the pressure is 170000N/m^2. Determine the magnitude and direction of the force exerted on the bend.

I can do this question if it only had one length(600 or 300). Not sure what to do now because of the gradual decrease. help?

Science news on Phys.org
Welcome to Physics Forums.
xxninixx said:
Hi everyone. I am new here so i don't know how this place works.
For school homework problems, or any textbook-style problems that are for your own independent study, it works this way:

1. Post the problem in one of the Homework & Coursework Questions subject areas here:

2. When you make your post, list any and all equations that apply, or you believe could apply, to solving the problem. Solving this problem will involve using equations. If you don't know the equations, look for them in your textbook or class notes.

3. Try using those equations you found, see how far you can get towards solving the problem yourself. Show your attempt at solving the problem, however far you got, when you make your post.

Hope that helps.

1. What is the difference between magnitude and direction of force?

The magnitude of force refers to the strength or size of a force, while the direction of force refers to the path or orientation in which the force is acting.

2. How are magnitude and direction of force related?

Magnitude and direction of force are interdependent, meaning they cannot exist without each other. In order to fully describe a force, both its magnitude and direction must be known.

3. How is the magnitude of force measured?

The magnitude of force is typically measured in units of newtons (N) using a variety of instruments such as force gauges or spring scales.

4. Can the direction of force change?

Yes, the direction of force can change depending on the motion or position of the objects involved. For example, the direction of force acting on a ball thrown in the air will change as it moves through the air.

5. How does the magnitude and direction of force affect an object's motion?

The magnitude and direction of force determine the resulting motion of an object. If the force is unbalanced, the object will accelerate in the direction of the net force. If the force is balanced, the object will maintain its current state of motion or remain at rest.