High Energy Physics

by Kevin_Axion
Tags: energy, physics
Kevin_Axion
Aug30-10, 02:06 AM
P: 920
I've always been fascinated by the simplicity and elegance intertwined within the fabric of High Energy Physics, from Particle Physics to Superstring Theory/LQG and it has convinced me that this is a field I wish to pursue. The idea discoursing my dream is: "Is this still a fruitful area of research that has future potential?" I understand that the LHC has just begun operation and there is continuous research on quite remarkable topics but there is much uncertainty. Is Superstring Theory/LQG incorrect? Will CERN just discover the Higgs Boson leaving the field barren of critical data to venture deeper into the workings of our universe. These are questions I need answered because my life is rooted within this research area and I feel unbelievable inspiration to pursue these studies and search deeper into the beauty of our Universe.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
Space-tested fluid flow concept advances infectious disease diagnoses
SpaceX launches supplies to space station (Update)
MathematicalPhysicist
Aug30-10, 07:53 AM
P: 3,173
As far as I can tell, LQG/String theories as of now don't have testable predictions...
So working on them is purely theoretical nowdays.
niklaus
Aug30-10, 09:56 AM
P: 66
Not that I understand any of this, but I heard that the LHC could confirm some of the assumptions of String theory, such as the existance of supersymmetric particles or of extra dimensions. Not a test of the theory per se, but it may indicate that all this string business might go in the right direction.

Register to reply