How should I choose and begin learning about certain research fields?

Alistarco
Hi, im in my third year in physics, and ive been wanting to look for a research field in which i can begin learning about it, such as high energy, or statistical physics, and maybe present my bachelor tesis in any of these fields, but i dont know how to approach these subjects or where to begin with, im currently studying electrodynamics and termodynamics, should i wait and see more advance subjects ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you going to your department's colloquia and seminars?

Likes Alistarco
Vanadium 50 said:
Are you going to your department's colloquia and seminars?
Since my deparment was founded about 2 years ago, it doesnt have an established colloquia or seminars, so i started going to the seminars in other university, and there i feel kinda lost with the advanced subjects, so i dont know if i should wait and see other subjects in my career and then go seek for advice in those fields in the other university

Likes symbolipoint
Alistarco said:
im in my third year in physics
Alistarco said:
my deparment was founded about 2 years ago
How did this happen? :oldconfused:

Alistarco said:
i started going to the seminars in other university
I recognize that for privacy reasons, you may feel uncomfortable about telling us which universities you're dealing with, or even which country. Nevertheless, more specific information might help people here give more specific advice. Things work differently in different countries, and even in different universities in some countries. It's up to you to consider the potential costs versus benefits of doing this.

Last edited:
Likes Alistarco and Vanadium 50
jtbell said:
How did this happen? :oldconfused:
Hehe, typing mistake, sorry, i began studying there one semester after the department was founded.
jtbell said:
I recognize that for privacy reasons, you may feel uncomfortable about telling us which universities you're dealing with, or even which country. Nevertheless, more specific information might help people here give more specific advice. Things work differently in different countries, and even in different universities in some countries. It's up to you to consider the potential costs versus benefits of doing this.
Im studying in Bogotá, Colombia, but id prefer not to tell the universities name, but right now my university doesnt have a stablished colloquia and they intend to promote some deepening lines that im not really interested in, so im planning on doing an internship with the other university ( or any academic production ) as my degree modality

Alistarco said:
so im planning on doing an internship with the other university ( or any academic production ) as my degree modality

Clarifying, im able to do this because these two universities have an agreement that allows me to do that

Alistarco said:
Im studying in Bogotá, Colombia, but id prefer not to tell the universities name, but right now my university doesnt have a stablished colloquia and they intend to promote some deepening lines that im not really interested in, so im planning on doing an internship with the other university ( or any academic production ) as my degree modality
* Well, in your instance, first make a list of what research opportunities are available at the other university, since you plan to do your research there. There's no point in deciding that you really, really, really want to do your research in X, if no professor there is doing research in X.

* What interests led you to major in physics? Let's assume you're not ready for high-level academic journals. But if you browse through a physics magazine such as Physics Today, which articles grab your attention and which articles do you ignore? Discovery of a new galaxy? Creation of a new element? Latest news on plasma fusion? A new class of superconductors? ... Similarly with articles in the history of physics.

* What areas of interest overlap with the fields of research done at the other university?

Last edited:
Likes Alistarco, jtbell and berkeman
CrysPhys said:
* What areas of interest overlap with the fields of research done at the other university?
First of all, thanks for your advice, now, lets say i have done all of what you say and i have choosen a research field, how should i begin learning about it ?

Alistarco said:
First of all, thanks for your advice, now, lets say i have done all of what you say and i have choosen a research field, how should i begin learning about it ?
That depends on how the curricula at the two universities are structured and the specific courses you've taken so far. In the US, at many schools, in your junior (third) year, you would have sufficient background in foundational courses to start taking specialized electives (first or second semester) such as introduction to solid-state physics, introduction to nuclear physics, introduction to astrophysics, .... So pick an elective appropriate to your chosen research field. In my instance, I knew that I wanted to pursue solid-state physics for my PhD, so I chose introduction to solid-state physics and related courses. I later asked the professor of the solid-state physics course whether he would serve as advisor for my senior thesis. He agreed. We discussed several options, and I picked one.

If your curricula doesn't accommodate such an approach, then talk to professors working in the research area that you're interested in concerning potential topics for your undergrad thesis. When you pick one, ask your future advisor for guidance on how to proceed under your university system.

• Care
Likes Alistarco
CrysPhys said:
That depends on how the curricula at the two universities are structured and the specific courses you've taken so far. In the US, at many schools, in your junior (third) year, you would have sufficient background in foundational courses to start taking specialized electives (first or second semester) such as introduction to solid-state physics, introduction to nuclear physics, introduction to astrophysics, .... So pick an elective appropriate to your chosen research field. In my instance, I knew that I wanted to pursue solid-state physics for my PhD, so I chose introduction to solid-state physics and related courses. I later asked the professor of the solid-state physics course whether he would serve as advisor for my senior thesis. He agreed. We discussed several options, and I picked one.

If your curricula doesn't accommodate such an approach, then talk to professors working in the research area that you're interested in concerning potential topics for your undergrad thesis. When you pick one, ask your future advisor for guidance on how to proceed under your university system.
Thanks a lot <3

Alistarco said:
Thanks a lot <3
You're very welcome. Good luck to you. Hope you find as good an undergrad thesis advisor as I did.

• Care
Likes Alistarco

1. What factors should I consider when choosing a research field?

When choosing a research field, it is important to consider your interests, skills, and goals. You should also consider the current trends and advancements in the field, the availability of resources and funding, and the potential for future growth and impact.

2. How do I determine which research field is the best fit for me?

To determine the best research field for you, you should explore different fields through reading relevant literature, attending conferences and seminars, and talking to experts in the field. You should also consider your own strengths and passions, as well as the potential for collaboration and mentorship in the field.

3. What are some effective ways to begin learning about a new research field?

Some effective ways to begin learning about a new research field include reading introductory textbooks and articles, attending workshops and seminars, and conducting informational interviews with experts in the field. You can also join online forums or discussion groups related to the field to connect with others and stay updated on current research.

4. How much background knowledge do I need before starting research in a new field?

The amount of background knowledge needed before starting research in a new field varies depending on the complexity of the field and your previous experience. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of the fundamental concepts and theories in the field before beginning research. You can acquire this knowledge through coursework, self-study, or mentorship.

5. What steps should I take to effectively transition into a new research field?

To effectively transition into a new research field, you should first identify your specific research interests within the field. Then, you should familiarize yourself with the current literature and research methods used in the field. Networking with other researchers and seeking mentorship can also be helpful in making a smooth transition. It is also important to be open to learning and adapting to new approaches and ideas in the field.