by JJBladester
Tags: angle, projectile, time, velocity
Share this thread:
JJBladester
Sep11-10, 11:25 AM
PF Gold
P: 287
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Knowing that snow is discharged at an angle of 40 degrees, determine the initial speed, v0 of the snow at A. Answer: 6.98 m/s

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have found the x and y velocity and position formulas. Now since I don't know time, should I solve both position equations for time (t) and set them equal to each other to get my only unknown, vi? The quadratic equation for time in the y-dir seems a bit hectic. Is there an easier way to go about trying to find vi?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
kuruman
Sep11-10, 09:25 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,443
Start with
L = v0 t cosθ
Δy = v0 t sinθ - (1/2) g t2

Solve the first equation for t and replace in second equation. Solve the ensuing equation for v0.
JJBladester
Sep12-10, 07:47 AM
PF Gold
P: 287
Quote Quote by kuruman View Post
Start with
L = v0 t cosθ
Δy = v0 t sinθ - (1/2) g t2

Solve the first equation for t and replace in second equation. Solve the ensuing equation for v0.
I believe this is what you had in mind. The answer matches the professor's answer. Thanks again kuruman!

Register to reply