seeking help finding the initial velocity of a type 3 projectile

In summary, The speaker is trying to find the initial velocity of a projectile but is getting a negative value for seconds squared. They are wondering if they were supposed to take the absolute value of seconds squared and mention that the upwards direction is considered negative. They also mention that the initial velocity in the y direction is negative v1 sin θ.
pluralangel
Homework Statement
a projectile is launched 40° above the horizontal and lands a vertical distance of 0.943 m below and a horizontal distance of 2.4 m away; what is the initial velocity of the projectile?
Relevant Equations
vy = v sin θ
vx = v cos θ
v = Δd / Δt (constant velocity)
Δd = v1 Δt + 0.5a Δt^2 (uniform acceleration)
hi, so I've been trying to find the initial velocity of this projectile; but i ended up getting a negative value for seconds squared. I've gone over my solution multiple times but don't see where i went wrong. alternatively, was i supposed to take the absolute value of seconds squared?

thanks in advance for any help : )

Z6TAYOkLTjhckzUO4hayCzs3tICodELyb273WUqMVILHBtuceb.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Which sign are you using for the upwards direction?

PeroK said:
Which sign are you using for the upwards direction?
up would be negative

pluralangel said:
up would be negative

And your initial velocity in the ##y## direction is?

PeroK said:
And your initial velocity in the ##y## direction is?
ooh, it would have to be negative v1 sin θ ?

Likes PeroK
thanks so much ^_^

What is a type 3 projectile?

A type 3 projectile is a projectile that follows a curved trajectory, such as a ball being thrown in the air or a bullet being shot from a gun. It is affected by both gravity and air resistance.

Why is it important to know the initial velocity of a type 3 projectile?

The initial velocity of a type 3 projectile is an important factor in determining its trajectory and where it will land. It can also be used to calculate other variables such as time of flight and maximum height.

How can I find the initial velocity of a type 3 projectile?

The initial velocity of a type 3 projectile can be found using the basic kinematic equation: v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time. You can measure the final velocity and acceleration of the projectile and then solve for the initial velocity.

What are some methods for measuring the final velocity and acceleration of a type 3 projectile?

There are a few different methods for measuring the final velocity and acceleration of a type 3 projectile. One method is to use a high-speed camera to capture the projectile's motion and then analyze the footage to determine its velocity and acceleration. Another method is to use a motion sensor or accelerometer to directly measure the velocity and acceleration of the projectile.

Are there any factors that can affect the accuracy of the initial velocity measurement?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the initial velocity measurement. These include air resistance, wind, and human error in measuring the final velocity and acceleration. It is important to control these variables as much as possible to ensure an accurate measurement.