Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different coordinate systems in Dynamics and how to determine which one to use on a test. The speaker, who is a TA for the class, is creating a solution set for the current homework and is looking for a more educated explanation to give to students. They mention that the Normal and Tangential components are used when the path of the particle is known, while Polar coordinates are used for curvilinear motion when the path is unknown. One of the participants in the conversation also shares their personal experience with using these coordinate systems in their own Dynamics class.
Pooty
The problem I am having isn't so much related to an exact problem but I am a TA for Dynamics and I was creating a solution set for the current homework where we are dealing with equations of motion using either Normal and Tangential Components or using Cylindrical (2D-Polar) Coordinates. I know students are going to come in and ask how they are supposed to know to use which coordinate system on a test. Maybe you guys can provide me with a better explanation but I probably would tell them that we use the Normal and Tangential components when we know the path that the particle is traveling. Polar seems to be more for solving problems of curvilinear motion when the path is not known. Can you guys please elaborate on this and maybe give me a more educated explanation? I know I am the TA and I should know this class like the back of my hand but I haven't taken it for 4 years. I don't want to look like an idiot. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I never really used polar coordinates in my dynamics class, but I just used to use n-t coordinates when I had a particle moving on a curved path essentially.

1. What is Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics?

Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics is a branch of physics that focuses on the study of forces and motion in engineering systems. It involves the application of mathematical principles and laws of motion to analyze and predict the behavior of objects and systems in motion.

2. What are the main topics covered in Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics?

The main topics covered in Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics include kinematics, dynamics, work and energy, impulse and momentum, and rigid body motion. These topics are essential in understanding the behavior of objects and systems in motion.

3. How is Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics different from Engineering Mechanics: Statics?

Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics and Engineering Mechanics: Statics are two branches of physics that focus on the study of forces and motion in engineering systems. The main difference between the two is that Dynamics deals with systems in motion, while Statics deals with systems at rest.

4. What are some real-world applications of Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics?

Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics has various real-world applications in different fields, including aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, civil engineering, and automotive engineering. It is used to design and analyze structures, machines, and vehicles to ensure their safety and efficiency.

5. How can I excel in Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics?

To excel in Engineering Mechanics: Dynamics, it is essential to have a strong understanding of mathematical principles and laws of motion. Practice solving problems and applying concepts to real-world scenarios. Seek help from professors or tutors if needed, and make use of online resources and study materials.