Using Cartesian vs. Normal/Tangential Coordinates for Centripetal Motion

In summary: You are unsure about the equation of motion for a rigid body in general planar motion.You are unsure about the equation of motion for a rigid body in general planar motion. You are unsure about the equation of motion for a rigid body in general planar motion. You are unsure about the equation of motion for a rigid body in general planar motion.
Pipsqueakalchemist
Homework Statement
Question below
Relevant Equations
Newton's 2nd law
Moment equation
So for this problem the solution used Cartesian coordinates but I was wondering wouldn’t it be easier to use Normal and tangential coordinate because the bar is undergoing centripetal motion? Also on the right diagram shouldn’t the acceleration be down and not up. The reason I think that is because of the bar is in centripetal motion then the tangent acceleration should be down and to the right normal to the string. Is that the right reasoning or am I thinking about it wrong?

Attachments

• 5BEF7076-6B06-4054-8C8E-6751F07194D9.png
    5BEF7076-6B06-4054-8C8E-6751F07194D9.png
    18.5 KB · Views: 238
  • 8541A11F-4001-4DF2-94CF-6228CC222669.png
    8541A11F-4001-4DF2-94CF-6228CC222669.png
    25 KB · Views: 184
Physics news on Phys.org
Also this was my attempt but it’s wrong. Can anyone tell me where I went wrong please

Attachments

• 2FD0034A-140B-445F-B270-0652637FAA53.jpeg
    2FD0034A-140B-445F-B270-0652637FAA53.jpeg
    49.4 KB · Views: 169
Hi,

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
undergoing centripetal motion?
What, precisely would that be ? And what coordinates would you choose ?

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
shouldn’t the acceleration be down and not up
The choice of coordinates seems to be: x to the right and y upwards. Quite reasonable. And the y component of the resulting acceleration is probably going to be negative.

What are your equations explicitly ?
(especially since I don't believe you post #2 at all !)

##\ ##

PS nice exercise to actually do the experiment with a ruler and a cord :smile: !

BvU said:
Hi,

What, precisely would that be ? And what coordinates would you choose ?

The choice of coordinates seems to be: x to the right and y upwards. Quite reasonable. And the y component of the resulting acceleration is probably going to be negative.

What are your equations explicitly ?
(especially since I don't believe you post #2 at all !)

##\ ##
In my attempt I assumed the bar was undergoing centripetal motion around the fixed end of the rope. I tried using tangential and normal coordinates at that instant shown in the diagram where normal axis in directed toward the centre so pointing to fixed end of string and tangent axis perpendicular to it and directed down and to the right. This question is equation of motion of rigid bodies in general planar motion. So equations needed are Newton’s 2nd law, moments equation about centre of mass, and relative acceleration. I have the required equations attached

Attachments

• AA47D11E-CCB5-4558-B071-6593C8FF90F0.jpeg
    AA47D11E-CCB5-4558-B071-6593C8FF90F0.jpeg
    47.7 KB · Views: 139
I think I’m struggling to identify whether an rigid body is undergoing translational motion, rotational motion or general plane motion

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
In my attempt I assumed the bar was undergoing centripetal motion around the fixed end of the rope
This is hard to believe. I can understand that point B on the bar is constrained to move on a circle around C (*), but point A isn't going to stay on a line that makes an angle of 30 degrees wrt the cord.

(*) provided the cord stays taut, which I think is a reasonable assumption in this case

The word centripetal means 'going towards the center'. It is confusing and ambiguous to use it to describe a movement. When there is a centripetal force acting, a point mass can execute a circular motion.

Let me go back to your first attachment, which I assume is the problem statement:

1617314008641.png
can you find the force that has to be executed at A to keep the bar in position before it is released ? (**)

And your second attachment (looks as if it is part of the solutions manual ?) seems to be missing something on the righthand side
1617314239005.png
I assume this is at t=0 after releasing. On the left I see two forces, on the right I see two accelerations. Fine, but I don't see how there can be an equals sign in between.
[edit] my mistake. The 2 means 2 kg and then the purple arrows are forces too.
Still I can't explain the equals sign.
At t=0 the force you calculated at (**), is instantly removed. You have to ask yourself if it is reasonable to expect that T does not change instantly. If it doesn't, you have two forces that will cause the bar to drop and rotate. Choose an axis of rotation (***) and work out ##\alpha##, the angular acceleration.

Re
1617315383037.png
I can follow the first three lines, but the fourth ?
What is I ? Moment of inertia. Expression ?
##v_{B/A}## is what ? velocity of B wrt A ? Vector ? Scalar ?
##\omega## ?
(***) line three makes me think you picked G ?

##\ ##

The question I got was from an YouTube video. Do you mind watching the part for the solution bc the vid will explain it better bc I’m not 100% sure what I’m doing. The solution for the problem is pretty short. He starts an introduction then goes over the problem. It takes 5 minutes until he finishes the solution. I have the thumbnail. It’s the middle video.

Attachments

• FB11538E-7BF0-464C-BA83-36CC31F4A259.png
    FB11538E-7BF0-464C-BA83-36CC31F4A259.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 147
Found the link after some googling and Utub commercials. I don't need to digest this for you; the idea is that you come to a point where you understand the whole process. Sitting back and watching may not be enough. Find out where exactly you are unsure:
Pipsqueakalchemist said:
bc I’m not 100% sure what I’m doing
Write it out step by step and then ask when you run into trouble.

I have to leave now; perhaps @haruspex can take over ?##\ ##

Pipsqueakalchemist said:
I think I’m struggling to identify whether an rigid body is undergoing translational motion, rotational motion or general plane motion
So allow for the general case.
It is usually simplest to consider the instantaneous motion as the sum of a linear motion of the mass centre and a rotation about that centre, in respect of both velocity and acceleration.
The initial velocities here are both zero, so that's easy. (And centripetal acceleration is, by definition, orthogonal to the velocity: no linear velocity, no centripetal acceleration.)
You have three scalar acceleration equations available, two linear + one rotational; and four unknowns: the three accelerations and the tension.
You need one more equation. What do you know about the motion of the end of the rod that's tied to the string?

Likes Lnewqban
BvU said:
Found the link after some googling and Utub commercials. I don't need to digest this for you; the idea is that you come to a point where you understand the whole process. Sitting back and watching may not be enough. Find out where exactly you are unsure:
Write it out step by step and then ask when you run into trouble.

I have to leave now; perhaps @haruspex can take over ?##\ ##
Appreciate the help. Sorry I had to make you search for the vid that was my bad

1. What are Cartesian coordinates and how are they used in centripetal motion?

Cartesian coordinates are a system of specifying the position of a point in a plane using two perpendicular axes, typically labeled as x and y. In centripetal motion, Cartesian coordinates are used to track the position of an object as it moves in a circular path.

2. How do normal/tangential coordinates differ from Cartesian coordinates in centripetal motion?

Normal/tangential coordinates are an alternative way of specifying the position of a point in a circular motion. The normal coordinate represents the distance from the center of the circle to the point, while the tangential coordinate represents the angle of rotation around the circle.

3. Which coordinate system is better for analyzing centripetal motion?

Both Cartesian and normal/tangential coordinates can be used to analyze centripetal motion, but it depends on the specific situation. Cartesian coordinates are better for calculating the overall position and velocity of an object, while normal/tangential coordinates are better for understanding the direction of motion and the forces acting on the object.

4. Are there any advantages to using one coordinate system over the other in centripetal motion?

One advantage of using Cartesian coordinates is that they are more intuitive and easier to understand for most people. However, normal/tangential coordinates can be more useful for certain calculations, such as determining the centripetal force acting on an object.

5. Can both Cartesian and normal/tangential coordinates be used together in centripetal motion analysis?

Yes, it is possible to use both coordinate systems together in centripetal motion analysis. In fact, using both systems can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the motion and forces involved in circular motion.