Dynamic physical model - automobile wheel suspension confusion

In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of system simulation/modeling/discrete event system simulation, specifically in relation to physics and mechanics. The conversation covered various equations and laws, such as Newton's law of motion and Kirchoff's Voltage Law, and addressed questions and doubts about their application and understanding. It was also noted that there may be errors in some of the equations discussed.
shivajikobardan
Homework Statement
dynamic physical model
Relevant Equations
spring mass system equation, electric circuit equation
Been a long time I studied physics that had anything to do with mechanics, so I'm now in need of memorizing almost everything. So I am seeking for some guidance here. This is "system simulation/modeling/discrete event system simulation/etc" type of subject.

1657552151433.png

1657552164872.png

1657552183049.png

The first thing that I didn't understand is "what point are we trying to make by equating 2 equations" in relation with dynamic physical model?
While i get it that we have analogous equations in real world though.
And I didn't understand how Newton's law of motion was applied to the first figure? And what law is applied in electric circuit in second figure? Coloumb's law? I forgot why are we using derivatives of current L and R but charge q for C?

I know these equations-:

q/C=V

=>V~q

LdI/dt=V
=> V~q**

V=IR
=>V~q*

I guess it is sth like this. But not sure how exactly it was translated (but I think this much information would be enough for this exam for electric circuit part so just help me with physics mechanics part).

Physics news on Phys.org
shivajikobardan said:
And I didn't understand how Newton's law of motion was applied to the first figure
Hi,

##F = ma## is the law applied here. ##ma## appears as ##m{d^2x\over dt^2}## and there are three forces that add up to the ##F##. Maybe the fact that they moved over two of them to the other side of the ##=## sign is what confuses you a bit ?

The spring exerts ##F_s = -kx##
The dashpot exerts ##F_d = - D\dot x = -D {dx\over dt}##
And the exernal force is ##F_t##.

The ##K## in front of that in ##(1.1)## is in error. Likewise the ##{1\over C}## in the electric analogon.
(Check the dimensions).

##\ ##

Likes shivajikobardan and jack action
BvU said:
The ##K## in front of that in ##(1.1)## is in error. Likewise the ##{1\over C}## in the electric analogon.
(Check the dimensions).

##\ ##
Every other book about this is saying the same thing(written in that book) though.

BvU said:
The dashpot exerts ##F_d = - D\dot x = -D {dx\over dt}
How do you find dashpot force? I didn't get this.

shivajikobardan said:
Every other book about this is saying the same thing(written in that book) though.
Never seen the spring stiffness associated with the external force before and it doesn't make sense anyway. From Wikipedia:
Deriving the equations of motion for this model is usually done by examining the sum of forces on the mass:

a7595e04d4f8cb59560a2be5f12170a42afb66a4

shivajikobardan said:
How do you find dashpot force? I didn't get this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dashpot said:
A dashpot, also known as a damper, is a mechanical device that resists motion via viscous friction. The resulting force is proportional to the velocity, but acts in the opposite direction, slowing the motion and absorbing energy.

Likes shivajikobardan
jack action said:
Never seen the spring stiffness associated with the external force before and it doesn't make sense anyway. From Wikipedia:
yeah not adding it doesn't make any difference.

shivajikobardan said:
Homework Statement:: dynamic physical model
Relevant Equations:: spring mass system equation, electric circuit equation

And what law is applied in electric circuit in second figure? Coloumb's law? I forgot why are we using derivatives of current L and R but charge q for C?
That's Kirchoff's Voltage Law which tells us the sum of potential differences around any closed loop is zero. Applying the law we get
$$E(t) - IR - L\frac{dI}{dt} - \frac{q}{C} = 0$$

You can then rephrase ##\frac{dI}{dt}## and ##I## in terms of the derivatives of charge ##q## . Does that clear your doubt?

Although like BvU said, the ##\frac{1}{C}## on the right has to be an error because the units don't add up. Hope this helped.

Likes Delta2
haider said:
That's Kirchoff's Voltage Law which tells us the sum of potential differences around any closed loop is zero. Applying the law we get
$$E(t) - IR - L\frac{dI}{dt} - \frac{q}{C} = 0$$

You can then rephrase ##\frac{dI}{dt}## and ##I## in terms of the derivatives of charge ##q## . Does that clear your doubt?

Although like BvU said, the ##\frac{1}{C}## on the right has to be an error because the units don't add up. Hope this helped.
oh yeah KVL, thanks for the info. this helps for electric circuit doubt.

Likes Delta2 and haider

1. What is a dynamic physical model?

A dynamic physical model is a mathematical representation of a real-world system that takes into account the forces and motions involved in the system's behavior. It allows scientists and engineers to study and predict the behavior of the system under different conditions.

2. What is an automobile wheel suspension?

An automobile wheel suspension is the mechanism that connects a vehicle's wheels to its frame or body. It is responsible for supporting the weight of the vehicle, providing a smooth ride, and allowing the wheels to move up and down over uneven surfaces.

3. What is the confusion surrounding automobile wheel suspension?

The confusion surrounding automobile wheel suspension is mainly related to its dynamic behavior. Many factors, such as road conditions, vehicle speed, and weight distribution, can affect the suspension's performance. This complexity can make it challenging to accurately model and understand the suspension's behavior.

4. How do scientists study the dynamic physical model of an automobile wheel suspension?

Scientists use various methods, including computer simulations and physical experiments, to study the dynamic physical model of an automobile wheel suspension. These methods allow them to analyze the suspension's behavior under different conditions and make improvements to its design.

5. Why is understanding the dynamic physical model of an automobile wheel suspension important?

Understanding the dynamic physical model of an automobile wheel suspension is crucial for improving vehicle safety, comfort, and performance. It allows engineers to design more efficient and effective suspensions that can adapt to different road conditions and driving situations.