Calculating Visibility Range on One-Lane Street

• Thread starter guaro001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Range
In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help in calculating the range of visibility for a driver when there is an obstacle in front of them. The person is unsure if this is the appropriate place to ask for assistance and is looking for guidance. They mention the difficulty of the task and ask for any additional information needed to calculate the range of visibility. Another person offers their thoughts and suggests sketching the range geometrically. The original person expresses gratitude and mentions gathering more information to post for further help.
guaro001
Hi gurus

I don’t know if this is the right place to post this but if not maybe someone can point me to the right direction as I am lost and I need help.
I would like to know if its possible to calculate the range of visibility that a driver can have looking forward if there is an obstacle in front of it. (there is a car behind a moving truck going south bound on one lane street), what is the range of visibility of the car behind the truck, can this be measured, what kind of information is need to calculate the range of visibility of the second car. This sounds very hard to accomplish. so that is why I am here looking for help

Thanks a bunch for all info I might get, or to point me to the right direction. I hope I make sense if not please let me know any question you may have to resolve this.

again thanks a bunch

Physics news on Phys.org
guaro001 said:
Hi gurus

I don’t know if this is the right place to post this but if not maybe someone can point me to the right direction as I am lost and I need help.
I would like to know if its possible to calculate the range of visibility that a driver can have looking forward if there is an obstacle in front of it. (there is a car behind a moving truck going south bound on one lane street), what is the range of visibility of the car behind the truck, can this be measured, what kind of information is need to calculate the range of visibility of the second car. This sounds very hard to accomplish. so that is why I am here looking for help

Thanks a bunch for all info I might get, or to point me to the right direction. I hope I make sense if not please let me know any question you may have to resolve this.

again thanks a bunch

Welcome to the PF.

It would seem that the range could be sketched geometrically. You can't see around the truck unless you move a bit to the side, and then you can only see past the furthest edge of the truck. Is there some other consideration?

B.

Thanks for jumping in, I will gather all the information for this challenging problem and I will post here, so you can help on this matter, Thanks a bunch for the help.

1. What is the purpose of calculating visibility range on a one-lane street?

The purpose of calculating visibility range on a one-lane street is to determine the maximum distance at which an object or obstacle can be seen by a driver on the road. This is important for ensuring safe driving conditions and avoiding accidents.

2. How is visibility range on a one-lane street calculated?

Visibility range on a one-lane street is typically calculated using a mathematical formula that takes into account factors such as the height of the driver's eye, the height of the object or obstacle, and the curvature of the road. This formula can vary depending on the specific conditions of the street.

3. What factors can affect the visibility range on a one-lane street?

Some factors that can affect visibility range on a one-lane street include weather conditions, such as fog, rain, or snow, as well as the presence of tall buildings or trees that may obstruct the driver's view. The condition of the road surface and the driver's own vision can also play a role.

4. Why is calculating visibility range important for road safety?

Calculating visibility range is important for road safety because it allows drivers to anticipate potential hazards and adjust their speed accordingly. It also helps to ensure that objects or obstacles on the road are visible to drivers, reducing the risk of accidents and improving overall traffic flow.

5. Are there any tools or technologies available to assist with calculating visibility range on one-lane streets?

Yes, there are various tools and technologies available to assist with calculating visibility range on one-lane streets. This can include specialized software, as well as devices such as laser rangefinders or infrared cameras. However, it is important for drivers to also use their own observation skills and follow safe driving practices.