Car Collision While Turning: Understanding the Outcome at Low Speeds

In summary, the conversation is about a car accident that has already been settled. The person seeking help is curious about the outcome of the accident and whether the car was resting parallel to the street or moved in a different direction after colliding with a pedestrian. However, the forum is unable to provide assistance with this type of question and suggests seeking help from someone with a technical background or hiring a professional accident investigator.
MBRyo
Hi! Sorry about the thread level. I had no idea which level to choose.

I have a burning question. Can someone help me?
If a car collides with a pedestrian (who walks into the path of the car from the right) while turning right (the wheels are still turned) at low speed (10 to 15 mph) and if the driver does not make any emergency actions, would the car rest parallel to the street, move toward the left, or move toward the right?

Physics news on Phys.org
MBRyo said:
Hi! Sorry about the thread level. I had no idea which level to choose.

I have a burning question. Can someone help me?
If a car collides with a pedestrian (who walks into the path of the car from the right) while turning right (the wheels are still turned) at low speed (10 to 15 mph) and if the driver does not make any emergency actions, would the car rest parallel to the street, move toward the left, or move toward the right?
Welcome to the PF. (I fixed your thread prefix for you) :smile:

What is the context of the question? We don't help with car accident analysis here at the PF.

Thank you for your reply.
It's about a car accident my husband had but it's been settled already.
It's a done deal. Nothing can be done at this point. So no legal complications. The case has been settled but I have unsettled curiosity. :oldconfused: Please help.

My husband believes the collision happened outside the crosswalk, but the pedestrian claimed that he was in the crosswalk. They didn't see each other before the collision, and there were no witnesses. The pedestrian was drunk, wearing earbuds and listening to loud music, and did not pay attention to the traffic before stepping into the street. So he was negligent enough, and probably whether or not the collision took place in the crosswalk did not make much difference to the settlement result, but it was vexing that we couldn't prove that it was outside the crosswalk. If it took place in the crosswalk, the wheels hadn't been straightened yet at the time of collision. The car rested parallel to the street. Thus, my question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, sorry. As I said, this is the kind of question that we really can't help with here. If you can find a local person with a technical background who is willing to look at all of the evidence and other things involved, that is probably your best bet (short of hiring a professional accident investigator).

Thread is closed now.

1. What causes a car collision while turning at low speeds?

There are several factors that can contribute to a car collision while turning at low speeds. Some common causes include distracted driving, failure to yield to other vehicles or pedestrians, and misjudging the distance or speed of other vehicles.

2. Are car collisions at low speeds less dangerous than those at high speeds?

In general, car collisions at low speeds are less dangerous than those at high speeds. This is because the force of impact is lower at lower speeds, resulting in less severe damage and injuries. However, even a low-speed collision can still cause injuries and damage to the vehicles involved.

3. How can I prevent a car collision while turning at low speeds?

To prevent a car collision while turning at low speeds, it is important to always be alert and aware of your surroundings. Avoid distractions, such as texting or adjusting the radio, and make sure to properly yield to other vehicles and pedestrians. It is also important to maintain a safe speed and distance from other vehicles on the road.

4. What should I do if I am involved in a car collision while turning at low speeds?

If you are involved in a car collision while turning at low speeds, the first priority is to ensure the safety of yourself and others involved. Check for injuries and call for medical assistance if needed. Then, exchange information with the other driver(s) and document the scene of the accident. It is also important to contact your insurance company as soon as possible.

5. Can low-speed car collisions cause long-term damage to my vehicle?

Even though the force of impact is lower in low-speed car collisions, they can still cause long-term damage to your vehicle. This damage may not be immediately noticeable, but it can lead to issues with the car's performance and safety over time. It is important to have your vehicle inspected by a professional after any collision, regardless of the speed.