Register to reply

Dr. Leonnard Susskind Lectures

by p75213
Tags: lectures, leonnard, susskind
Share this thread:
p75213
Dec10-10, 06:09 AM
P: 89
Is the Quantum Mechanics lecture series by Dr. Leonnard Susskind available on dvd?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
DevilsAvocado
Dec10-10, 07:47 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,662
I donít know. But I do know where you can find them:
Dr. Leonard Susskind free lectures on YouTube. The lectures are assembled in courses of 8 to 12 lectures of 1Ĺ to 2 hours. Below are the links to the playlists of the full courses (plays next lecture automatically). This gives a total of 57 lectures, summing up to approx 100 hours:

(And yes, itís possible to download videos from YouTube, but Iím not going to tell you how... )
matonski
Dec10-10, 02:38 PM
P: 166
They are also on iTunes U. Very easy to download from there.

Brown Arrow
Dec10-10, 10:57 PM
P: 101
Dr. Leonnard Susskind Lectures

if its not ilegal.... you can use ant downloder
Brown Arrow
Dec10-10, 10:58 PM
P: 101
can download anything
DevilsAvocado
Dec11-10, 10:52 AM
PF Gold
EDIT:

Hereís everything you need, including links to both iTunes & YouTube (better then my first links), plus two new courses; Cosmology & Statistical Mechanics:

Understanding Modern Physics: Download Leonard Susskind Video Lectures|Open Culture

Enjoy!
p75213
Dec12-10, 12:10 AM
P: 89
Thanks for that. However I was hoping they were available on DVD as I am on a wireless connection with a monthly quota of 6GB. I may have to purchase an extra couple of gig prepaid to download the series.
Daverz
Dec12-10, 05:54 AM
P: 893
Some of you already know this, but the "Special Relativity" course covers a lot of classical field theory, not just what one typically thinks of as "special relativity".
DevilsAvocado
Dec12-10, 08:51 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by p75213 View Post
Thanks for that. However I was hoping they were available on DVD as I am on a wireless connection with a monthly quota of 6GB. I may have to purchase an extra couple of gig prepaid to download the series.
Okay, that could be a problem... I havenít downloaded any of the lectures, so I canít tell you the size of the 8 full courses. I did a rough approximation though, built on the 'assumption' that an 1 hr 640x360 video takes approx 340 MB, and the Susskind videos has resolution 480x360 = 75% ≈ 255 MB/hr

(This is of course a little 'vague', because the final video size depends on compression and bitrate.)

All 8 courses sum up to 126 hrs, giving: 126 x 255 MB ≈ 31 GB ≈ 7 DVDís

Thatís gonna be tough on wireless 6 GB quota...

On the other hand... who consumes 126 hrs of highly skilled physics lectures in one month...?? Einstein!?

Why donít you download this over a period of 5-6 months? I guess you will be fully occupied by the lectures during this time...

P.S. The YouTube-link to the Cosmology course is not the same as the rest. This will take you the same layout:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...8811AA667C942F

@Daverz: Thanks for info.
inflector
Dec12-10, 10:22 AM
P: 337
No WiFi connection with your computer/device? I've downloaded and watched individual parts of these lectures from coffee shops using WiFi plenty of times.
DevilsAvocado
Dec12-10, 04:22 PM
PF Gold
Wireless <> WiFi ??

Well... if we are talking 3G it’s gonna take 24 hrs x 7 or something like that to download 31 GB... not counting error rate...

Seriously, coffee shops and other Hotspots look like a brilliant idea. Or, why not visiting a friend with cable Internet access? With 100 Mbit/s downstream 31 GB can be downloaded in 40 min...
Spinnor
Dec13-10, 06:25 PM
P: 1,368
Can you go to a coffee shop or some other place that offers free internet and download the who lot, drink some coffee while you are at it?

I have watched them through iTune U, very generous of Stanford to put them on the web and for Apple to give them away for free.
HossamCFD
Dec14-10, 08:54 AM
P: 80
Quote Quote by DevilsAvocado View Post
EDIT:

Hereís everything you need, including links to both iTunes & YouTube (better then my first links), plus two new courses; Cosmology & Statistical Mechanics:

Understanding Modern Physics: Download Leonard Susskind Video Lectures|Open Culture

Enjoy!
This list misses the two newest susskind courses on youtube

New revolutions in particle physics: basic concepts

New revolutions in particle physics: standard model

Each course has 10 lectures, as usual
DevilsAvocado
Dec14-10, 08:59 AM
PF Gold
Thanks HossamCFD!
HossamCFD
Dec14-10, 04:17 PM
P: 80
You're most welcome

I believe more courses will be uploaded in the near future. Possibly going all the way to string theory.
BBruch
Dec14-10, 05:06 PM
P: 7
I've found most of Dr. Leonard Susskind's lectures are on youtube under Stanford's channel. They are absolutely amazing. I'm so happy Stanford and MIT post these lectures. I'd look into Walter Lewin if you liked the way Susskind taught.
matonski
Dec15-10, 12:21 AM
P: 166
I extracted the audio and put them on my iPhone. I've listened to them all many times that way during my commute. I've also listened to all the Feynman Lectures as well as Sidney Coleman's QFT course that way. I love it and am never bored anymore.
arestes
Dec16-10, 07:53 PM
P: 42
This is pretty cool, indeed. Very useful and entertaining. However, I would like to know if it's possible to find coursework, like homework, (with or without solutions) exam papers, lecture notes, etc that accompany these lectures. Anyone know?

Register to reply