'Quantum mechanics the theoretical minimum' book

In summary: Is it suitable for beginners?In summary, the book "quantum mechanics: the theoretical minimum" by Leonard Susskind provides a nice introduction to quantum mechanics using a "qbit-first approach". It covers the basic formalism using simple examples and avoids complicated mathematical concepts. The book is suitable for beginners and provides a good understanding of the subject.
Sherlin Pinto
I want to know about the book 'quantum mechanics: the theoretical minimum' book by Leonard Susskind. Is it a book worth buying

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe.

If the answer is vague, well so was the question. You get out of it what you put in it.

• Haha
Likes Demystifier
Sherlin Pinto said:
I want to know about the book 'quantum mechanics: the theoretical minimum' book by Leonard Susskind. Is it a book worth buying
:welcome:

What's your background in maths and physics?

PeroK said:
:welcome:

What's your background in maths and physics?
Not bad I hold a master's in physics

Sherlin Pinto said:
Not bad I hold a master's in physics
Is that from a long time ago? Have you ever studied QM?

Vanadium 50 said:
Maybe.

If the answer is vague, well so was the question. You get out of it what you put in it.
Thanks for your reply. If you know about the book please let me know about the level and content of the book. I also would like to know about how the concepts explained in the same, if possible a detailed review.

PeroK said:
Is that from a long time ago? Have you ever studied QM?
Not long ago. I just completed last year and I have studied QM. I just wanted a better understanding? so I want to know if the conceptual explanation in it is good as it is the first time I came across this book.

I think it's a very nice introduction. It uses the "qbit-first approach", i.e., it explains most of the formalism using the most simple example of a 2D Hilbert space, describing, e.g., a spin of ##s=1/2##. It avoids all the mathematical trouble of observables with continuous spectra but at the end also wave mechanics is treated.

Likes Demystifier and Hamiltonian
vanhees71 said:
I think it's a very nice introduction. It uses the "qbit-first approach", i.e., it explains most of the formalism using the most simple example of a 2D Hilbert space, describing, e.g., a spin of ##s=1/2##. It avoids all the mathematical trouble of observables with continuous spectra but at the end also wave mechanics is treated.
Thank you

1. What is the purpose of the book "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum"?

The purpose of the book is to provide a comprehensive and accessible introduction to the fundamental concepts and principles of quantum mechanics. It is designed for readers with little to no background in physics and aims to make the complex subject of quantum mechanics more understandable.

2. Who is the author of "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum"?

The book is co-authored by Leonard Susskind, a renowned physicist and professor at Stanford University, and Art Friedman, a physicist and writer. Susskind is known for his contributions to string theory and popularizing physics through his online lectures and books.

3. Is "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" suitable for beginners?

Yes, the book is written for beginners with no prior knowledge of quantum mechanics. It starts with the basics and gradually builds up to more complex concepts, making it accessible for readers with little to no background in physics.

4. What topics are covered in "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum"?

The book covers a wide range of topics including the wave-particle duality of matter, the uncertainty principle, quantum states and operators, the Schrodinger equation, quantum entanglement, and more. It also includes exercises and problems for readers to practice and reinforce their understanding of the concepts.

5. Is "Quantum Mechanics: The Theoretical Minimum" a suitable resource for advanced learners?

While the book is primarily aimed at beginners, it can also serve as a useful review or reference for those with a more advanced understanding of quantum mechanics. It covers the essential concepts and principles in a clear and concise manner, making it a helpful resource for all levels of learners.