Register to reply

Torque Concepts

by 123yt
Tags: concepts, torque
Share this thread:
123yt
Dec14-10, 12:08 PM
P: 32
Pretend there are two accelerating masses connected to a massless string with a frictionless pulley between them. How can the frictionless pulley (Rotational inertia and radius given) affect acceleration in any sort of way?

Also, why is the net force equal to Acceleration * (Mass of two blocks + I/r^2)? I understand the part with the two blocks, but not with the I/r^2.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Detecting neutrinos, physicists look into the heart of the Sun
Measurement at Big Bang conditions confirms lithium problem
Researchers study gallium to design adjustable electronic components
Doc Al
Dec14-10, 12:48 PM
Mentor
P: 41,459
Quote Quote by 123yt View Post
Pretend there are two accelerating masses connected to a massless string with a frictionless pulley between them. How can the frictionless pulley (Rotational inertia and radius given) affect acceleration in any sort of way?
The pulley has rotational inertia and thus requires a torque to accelerate it.
Also, why is the net force equal to Acceleration * (Mass of two blocks + I/r^2)? I understand the part with the two blocks, but not with the I/r^2.
You can think of I/r^2 as the effective mass of the pulley. But that equation is a bit of a short cut. Rather than use it directly, derive your own version by applying Newton's 2nd law to each mass and the pulley itself.
123yt
Dec14-10, 01:26 PM
Quote Quote by Doc Al View Post
The pulley has rotational inertia and thus requires a torque to accelerate it.
But torque is just a measure of how much a force causes an object to rotate. It doesn't "use up" any force to rotate it, right?

You can think of I/r^2 as the effective mass of the pulley. But that equation is a bit of a short cut. Rather than use it directly, derive your own version by applying Newton's 2nd law to each mass and the pulley itself.
The rotational inertia of the pulley is I = MR^2 / 2, so shouldn't the mass be M = 2 * I / R^2?

Doc Al
Dec14-10, 01:35 PM
Mentor
P: 41,459
Torque Concepts

Quote Quote by 123yt View Post
But torque is just a measure of how much a force causes an object to rotate. It doesn't "use up" any force to rotate it, right?
It "uses up" force in a manner similar to how pushing a mass "uses up" force.
The rotational inertia of the pulley is I = MR^2 / 2, so shouldn't the mass be M = 2 * I / R^2?
No. If you derive the equation, you'll see where that I/R^2 term comes from. (No reason to treat the pulley as a uniform disk.)
123yt
Dec14-10, 02:07 PM
Alright, thanks for the help. I think I understand torque and rotation a little better now.

Register to reply