Is op amp or any amplifier circuit/device a over-unity device?

by Pagedown
Tags: amplifier, circuit or device, device, overunity
Pagedown
Jan20-11, 11:47 PM
P: 92
Is op amp or any amplifier circuit/device a over-unity efficient device?

The above question has been stuck in my mind, and I can't figure it out, as Vout is greater than Vin which Pin>Pout. So is it?

I heard alot about free energy and aether, thus come to this question.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers propose network-based evaluation tool to assess relief operations feasibility
Large streams of data warn cars, banks and oil drillers
Engineering student developing traffic forecasts
yungman
Jan21-11, 12:15 AM
P: 3,842
Do you mean over 100% efficiency? Absolutely not. If there is one, I want one too!!!

Or are you just talking about voltage gain?
Pagedown
Jan21-11, 12:33 AM
the efficiency. So how to calculate its efficiency, if it is not Vout/Vin since it is voltage gain?

yungman
Jan21-11, 12:36 AM
P: 3,842

Is op amp or any amplifier circuit/device a over-unity device?

I am confuse how do you define efficiency? I am confused. To me, efficiency means power out divid by power in times 100 percent. Nothing even come close to 100%. Power in include the driving power plus the power input from the power supplies.
Pagedown
Jan21-11, 12:40 AM
So power in should be the Voltage IN while power out should be Voltage OUT? I am confused how to calculate it. Maybe although the voltage gain is high, the output current is very low? I do know that is true for transformers, but dunno for any opamp or semiconductor.
berkeman
Jan21-11, 01:18 AM
Mentor
P: 39,589
Quote Quote by Pagedown View Post
Is op amp or any amplifier circuit/device a over-unity efficient device?

The above question has been stuck in my mind, and I can't figure it out, as Vout is greater than Vin which Pin>Pout. So is it?

I heard alot about free energy and aether, thus come to this question.
I will put this as gently as I can.

The big giant battery or the wall power plug is where the "extra" energy comes from for power amplifiers. There is no free energy.

Thread closed. Please re-read the Rules link at the top of the page that you agreed to when you joined our forums.
russ_watters
Jan21-11, 06:18 AM
Mentor
P: 21,998
Quote Quote by Pagedown View Post
So power in should be the Voltage IN while power out should be Voltage OUT? I am confused how to calculate it. Maybe although the voltage gain is high, the output current is very low? I do know that is true for transformers, but dunno for any opamp or semiconductor.
Just to add one thing: voltage is not power. Wattage is power.

Register to reply