Register to reply

Is op amp or any amplifier circuit/device a over-unity device?

Share this thread:
Pagedown
Jan20-11, 11:47 PM
P: 92
Is op amp or any amplifier circuit/device a over-unity efficient device?

The above question has been stuck in my mind, and I can't figure it out, as Vout is greater than Vin which Pin>Pout. So is it?

I heard alot about free energy and aether, thus come to this question.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Identifying long-distance threats: New 3D technology could improve CCTV images
Intelligent system that predicts when alarms might be triggered could greatly improve the management of industrial plant
3D printed nose wins design award
yungman
Jan21-11, 12:15 AM
P: 3,898
Do you mean over 100% efficiency? Absolutely not. If there is one, I want one too!!!

Or are you just talking about voltage gain?
Pagedown
Jan21-11, 12:33 AM
the efficiency. So how to calculate its efficiency, if it is not Vout/Vin since it is voltage gain?

yungman
Jan21-11, 12:36 AM
P: 3,898
Is op amp or any amplifier circuit/device a over-unity device?

I am confuse how do you define efficiency? I am confused. To me, efficiency means power out divid by power in times 100 percent. Nothing even come close to 100%. Power in include the driving power plus the power input from the power supplies.
Pagedown
Jan21-11, 12:40 AM
So power in should be the Voltage IN while power out should be Voltage OUT? I am confused how to calculate it. Maybe although the voltage gain is high, the output current is very low? I do know that is true for transformers, but dunno for any opamp or semiconductor.
berkeman
Jan21-11, 01:18 AM
Mentor
P: 41,041
Quote Quote by Pagedown View Post
Is op amp or any amplifier circuit/device a over-unity efficient device?

The above question has been stuck in my mind, and I can't figure it out, as Vout is greater than Vin which Pin>Pout. So is it?

I heard alot about free energy and aether, thus come to this question.
I will put this as gently as I can.

The big giant battery or the wall power plug is where the "extra" energy comes from for power amplifiers. There is no free energy.

Thread closed. Please re-read the Rules link at the top of the page that you agreed to when you joined our forums.
russ_watters
Jan21-11, 06:18 AM
Mentor
P: 22,294
Quote Quote by Pagedown View Post
So power in should be the Voltage IN while power out should be Voltage OUT? I am confused how to calculate it. Maybe although the voltage gain is high, the output current is very low? I do know that is true for transformers, but dunno for any opamp or semiconductor.
Just to add one thing: voltage is not power. Wattage is power.

Register to reply