Plasma outside the visible

by piareround
Tags: plasma, visible
piareround
Jan21-11, 10:08 AM
P: 78
So I friend of mine got into this interesting discussion about different kinds of plasmas in particular the various colors and plasma parameters of various ions (*mainly magnitude of frequency and velocity equation). One interesting question we both had was about the possibility of a plasma whose primary spectrum included stuff outside the visible. Other than possible star examples, where the plasma has an very high temperature, we both could not think of a normal ion or laboratory situation where the plasma might emit in a spectrum outside visible.

So my question to you all was do you know any examples, laboratory-based or otherwise, of when a plasma's electromagnetic radiation lies outside the visible spectrum?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Researchers find tin selenide shows promise for efficiently converting waste heat into electrical energy
After 13 years, progress in pitch-drop experiment (w/ video)
Global scientific team 'visualizes' a new crystallization process (w/ video)
stevenb
Jan21-11, 10:57 AM
P: 697
Quote Quote by piareround View Post

So my question to you all was do you know any examples, laboratory-based or otherwise, of when a plasma's electromagnetic radiation lies outside the visible spectrum?
I don't know much about this field myself, but I've heard of work done on ultra-cold plasma.

http://physics.aps.org/synopsis-for/...ett.101.195002
ZapperZ
Jan21-11, 11:01 AM
Mentor
P: 28,792
Quote Quote by piareround View Post
So I friend of mine got into this interesting discussion about different kinds of plasmas in particular the various colors and plasma parameters of various ions (*mainly magnitude of frequency and velocity equation). One interesting question we both had was about the possibility of a plasma whose primary spectrum included stuff outside the visible. Other than possible star examples, where the plasma has an very high temperature, we both could not think of a normal ion or laboratory situation where the plasma might emit in a spectrum outside visible.

Er... look at the Hydrogen spectrum that you could get out of a simple hydrogen gas discharge tube that we use in a typical undergraduate laboratory. There's a reason we ask the students to look at the Balmer series - it is the only series where the transition is in the visible range. The Lyman and Paschen series, for example, are not. But they are certainly there!

See http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...s/hydspec.html

Zz.

Register to reply