Register to reply

Do Irreducibles Induce Algebraic Extensions?

by slamminsammya
Tags: algebraic, extensions, induce, irreducibles
Share this thread:
slamminsammya
Jan29-11, 07:43 PM
P: 15
Given [tex]K[/tex] a field, and [tex] f\in K[x][/tex] an irreducible (monic) polynomial. Does it follow that the field [tex] K[x]/\left<f\right>[/tex] is an algebraic extension of [tex]K[/tex]?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
mathwonk
Jan29-11, 08:20 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,453
i think so. in general, if M is a maximal ideal in a commutative ring R, then R/M is a field. If R contains a subfield k, then R/M is an extension of k. So in your case the ring K[X] contains the subfield K, and since K[X] is a Euclidean ring, hence also a p.i.d., an irreducible polynomial f generates a maximal ideal, so K[X]/(f) is a field extension of K.

Moreover the degree (vector dimension) of the extension equals the degree of f, hence is finite, and every finite extension is definitely algebraic. so YES!

I had to think through all the details since I am old and losing my memory. hope this helps.
Hurkyl
Jan29-11, 08:23 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,092
Isn't the answer obvious from the definition of "algebraic extension"? The interesting part is that it's a field and not just a ring.

(Hrm. I suppose there are equivalent definitions, and some would be less obvious than others. Which are you using?)

Register to reply