Splitting Fields: Anderson and Feil, Theorem 45.5 ....

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of algebraic elements in a field and the importance of irreducible polynomials in proving theorems. It is determined that if the characteristic of the field is not zero, then it cannot be concluded that either of the factors of a reducible polynomial will result in 0. However, if the characteristic is zero, then the property of being a prime can be used to prove that one of the factors will result in 0.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Anderson and Feil - A First Course in Abstract Algebra.

I am currently focused on Ch. 45: The Splitting Field ... ...

I need some help with some aspects of the proof of Theorem 45.5 ...

Theorem 45.5 and its proof read as follows:
?temp_hash=6827701059bafb016e0aaa98e096587f.png

?temp_hash=6827701059bafb016e0aaa98e096587f.png

In the above text from Anderson and Feil we read the following:

"... ... Now ##\alpha## and ##\beta## are roots of irreducible polynomials ##f, g \in F[x]## ... ...Now, we are just given that \alpha and \beta are algebraic elements of a field ##F## ... ... how, exactly, do we know that they are roots of irreducible polynomials in ##F[x] ##... .,.. ?
"( NOTE: A&F's definition of algebraic over ##F## does not mention irreducible polynomials but says:

"If ##E## is an extension field of a field ##F## and ##\alpha \in E## is a root of a polynomial in ##F[x]##, we say ##\alpha## is algebraic over ##F##. ...)

Hope someone can help ...

PeterEdit: Hmm ... wonder if Kronecker's Theorem has something to do with irreducible polynomials entering this discussion ...

Attachments

• A&F - 1 - Theorem 45.5 and proof ... PART 1 ....png
    A&F - 1 - Theorem 45.5 and proof ... PART 1 ....png
    53 KB · Views: 453
  • A&F - 2 - Theorem 45.5 and proof ... PART 2 ....png
    A&F - 2 - Theorem 45.5 and proof ... PART 2 ....png
    35.5 KB · Views: 494
Physics news on Phys.org
Math Amateur said:
Now, we are just given that ##\alpha## and ##\beta## are algebraic elements of a field ##F## ... ... how, exactly, do we know that they are roots of irreducible polynomials in ##F[x]## ... .,.. ?
Math Amateur said:
"If ##E## is an extension field of a field ##F## and ##\alpha \in E## is a root of a polynomial in ##F[x]##, we say ##\alpha## is algebraic over ##F##. ...)
What happens, if you consider a polynomial ##p(x) \in F[x]## that is reducible, say ##p(x)=f(x)\cdot g(x)## and ##p(\alpha)=0\,##? Remember that ##\operatorname{char} F =0##.

Likes Math Amateur
fresh_42 said:
What happens, if you consider a polynomial ##p(x) \in F[x]## that is reducible, say ##p(x)=f(x)\cdot g(x)## and ##p(\alpha)=0\,##? Remember that ##\operatorname{char} F =0##.
... ... well ... I guess ##\alpha## must be a root of either ##f## or ##g## ... and if it is a root of ##f## then ##f## is irreducible ... if it is not just continue your process until we end up with an irreducible ... so we end up with an irreducible polynomial ... so, given this, assume one at the start

Is that correct ...?

Peter

Likes fresh_42
Math Amateur said:
... ... well ... I guess ##\alpha## must be a root of either ##f## or ##g## ... and if it is a root of ##f## then ##f## is irreducible ... if it is not just continue your process until we end up with an irreducible ... so we end up with an irreducible polynomial ... so, given this, assume one at the start

Is that correct ...?

Peter
Yes, this is true. You just can assume a minimal (and irreducible) polynomial. I wonder how it is, if the characteristic is not zero, then we cannot conclude that either ##f(\alpha)=0## or ##g(\alpha)=0##. At least not as easy, but I don't remember this special case.

Edit: I think I got it. If ##\operatorname{char} F = p## and ##f(\alpha)\cdot g(\alpha)=0## then ##p## divides this product, and the property of ##p## being a prime means it divides one of the factors, which in return translates to ##f(\alpha)=0## or ##g(\alpha)=0##.

Likes Math Amateur
fresh_42 said:
Yes, this is true. You just can assume a minimal (and irreducible) polynomial. I wonder how it is, if the characteristic is not zero, then we cannot conclude that either ##f(\alpha)=0## or ##g(\alpha)=0##. At least not as easy, but I don't remember this special case.

Thanks fresh_42 ... ...

Hmm ... very interesting point ... cannot see reason yet ... reflecting ...

Thanks again ...

Peter

Math Amateur said:
Thanks fresh_42 ... ...

Hmm ... very interesting point ... cannot see reason yet ... reflecting ...

Thanks again ...

Peter
No, not really. Read my edit.

Likes Math Amateur
fresh_42 said:
No, not really. Read my edit.

... oh ... OK ... yes ...

Peter

Math Amateur said:
... oh ... OK ... yes ...

Peter
Hi fresh_42 ...

Just confirming something ...

You write:"... ... If ##\operatorname{char} F = p## and ##f(\alpha)\cdot g(\alpha)=0## then ##p## divides this product... ... "

I am assuming that ##p## divides ##f(\alpha)\cdot g(\alpha)## because ##p \cdot 1 = f (\alpha)\cdot g(\alpha) = 0## ... ...Is that correct?

Peter

Math Amateur said:
Hi fresh_42 ...

Just confirming something ...

You write:"... ... If ##\operatorname{char} F = p## and ##f(\alpha)\cdot g(\alpha)=0## then ##p## divides this product... ... "

I am assuming that ##p## divides ##f(\alpha)\cdot g(\alpha)## because ##p \cdot 1 = f (\alpha)\cdot g(\alpha) = 0## ... ...Is that correct?

Peter
Yes, this is correct. If ##\operatorname{char}F = p##, then ##p=\operatorname{char}F = \underbrace{1+\ldots +1}_{p-times} =0## in this field. Think of ##\mathbb{Z}_2## or ##\mathbb{Z}_3## where the elements are ##\{0,1\}\, , \,\{0,1,2\},## resp., which means ##1+1=2=0## in the first case and ##1+1+1=3=0## in the second case.

Likes Math Amateur
Thanks for all your help and support on the above posts!

Most grateful for your help!

Peter

1. What is a splitting field?

A splitting field is a field extension that contains all the roots of a polynomial. It is the smallest field extension that makes a given polynomial completely factorizable.

2. Who are Anderson and Feil?

Anderson and Feil are mathematicians who developed theorem 45.5, which provides a method for finding the splitting field of a polynomial over a given field.

3. What is Theorem 45.5?

Theorem 45.5 is a mathematical theorem that provides a method for finding the splitting field of a polynomial over a given field. It is named after the mathematicians Anderson and Feil who developed it.

4. How does Theorem 45.5 work?

Theorem 45.5 works by factoring a given polynomial into irreducible polynomials over the given field. The splitting field is then obtained by adjoining the roots of these irreducible polynomials to the given field.

5. Why is finding a splitting field important?

Finding a splitting field is important in many areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry and number theory. It allows us to solve polynomial equations and understand the structure of fields and their extensions.