Register to reply

Hold your breath

by rhia
Tags: breath, hold
Share this thread:
rhia
Oct10-04, 11:38 AM
P: 37
Does holding one's breath for a long time cause cells to die due to lack of oxygen?How long is it safe to hold one's breath ?Till one can??
Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Scottish zoo: 'Bad news' for pregnant giant panda
DNA may have had humble beginnings as nutrient carrier
Central biobank for drug research
matthyaouw
Oct10-04, 12:01 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,216
I don't believe it's possible to die from holding your breath. worst case scenario, you will lose counciousness, at which point normal breathing will resume. That doesn't mean i reccomend trying it however, because longer term cell damage could still occur i think.
nautica
Oct10-04, 02:50 PM
P: n/a
With lack of Oxygen their is not acceptor for the electons coming through the kreb's cycle. Therefore, no ATP, will be made, which will lead to insufficent energy for cells and then death. So it is not neccessirly the lack of oxygen it is the lack of ATP.

Nautica

matthyaouw
Oct10-04, 02:53 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,216
Hold your breath

aye, thats true, however bare in mind that ATP can still be made anerobicly.
chroot
Oct11-04, 07:24 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,427
The general scientific consensus is that holding one's breath until loss of consciousness is probably not dangerous, at least not unless done many many times a day. Having a few beers is probably much worse.

- Warren
Moonbear
Oct13-04, 01:50 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
It's only dangerous if you bump your head when you fall down! Otherwise, what Chroot said!
DanielDS
Oct27-04, 12:57 PM
P: 1
If you want to suicide try jump from the 10 floor. A shot in the head is very intersting, but jump maybe more funny.
lordinfamous
Oct27-04, 10:21 PM
P: 40
Quote Quote by matthyaouw
I don't believe it's possible to die from holding your breath. worst case scenario, you will lose counciousness, at which point normal breathing will resume. That doesn't mean i reccomend trying it however, because longer term cell damage could still occur i think.

Your correct in thinking you can not die by holding your own breath. It is programmed into our brains to take in a gulp of air. ( fail-safe devise) if you may. Example: your underwater and on the verge of drowning,no matter how long you try to hold your breath, The brains fail-safe will trigger and you will breath thus filling your lungs with water and drowning).

Register to reply