Effect of Melt-Blown (MB) filter fibers of facial masks on lung tissues

• Medical
  • Thread starter Shinyoung Noh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Filter
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential harm of wearing facial masks with Melt-Blown filters, which are similar to the process used to make Asbestos and glass wools. The thin fibers of Asbestos and glass wools can cause fine dust to enter the lungs, leading to inflammation and potentially cancer. However, some argue that thicker fibers, such as those found in glass wool, are safer. The conversation concludes with the question of whether wearing a facial mask with Melt-Blown filters is truly safe and the comparison of the potential harm of inhaling glass wool dust to that of Asbestos.
Shinyoung Noh
TL;DR Summary
I heard Asbestos or rockwool(?) is cancer causing material since its fiber is too thin (<3um),
I also heard glass wool is still safe to use since its fiber is thick(>4um)

Then I see some high-grade facial masks which has <3um thin fibers for filtration and they are sticked to the noses to be used.
How is it safer compared to Asbestos ?
I came up with a curiosity whether having a facial mask on face to breathe can actually be safe to lungs in the following aspect.

I remember when I was young, Asbestos was so popularly used in construction.
and now, people wear Hazmat suits to remove any remaining Asbestos since it is first-class(?) cancer causing material.
I heard Asbestos is harmful because the fiber is too thin, makes fine dusts which gets into lungs, never gets digested, causes inflammation which ends up being a cancer.
I also heard glass wool is still used and is safe because its fiber is thick (>5um), does not make fine dusts floating around in the air, therefore,never gets into lungs.

Then, I see many high-grade facial mask products emphasizing upto how small particles they can filter.
One of the commercial I saw was saying their mask can filter max-level fine dust since their filter's fiber is ~0.1 um.

I see most of facial masks uses Melt-Blown(MB) filters which is similar or the same process of making Asbestos and glass wools.

Then, I do not see how it can be safe to be place right on the nose to inhale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biology news on Phys.org
Likes hutchphd

1. What is a melt-blown (MB) filter and how does it work?

A melt-blown filter is a type of non-woven fabric that is commonly used in facial masks. It is made by melting and extruding polypropylene, a type of plastic, into fine fibers. These fibers are then randomly laid down and bonded together to form a porous sheet. The small pores in the filter help to trap and filter out particles, such as dust, pollen, and bacteria, from the air passing through it.

2. How does the use of MB filter fibers in facial masks affect lung tissues?

There is currently no scientific evidence to suggest that the use of MB filter fibers in facial masks has any negative effect on lung tissues. In fact, the purpose of using these filters is to protect the lungs from harmful particles in the air. As long as the mask is worn properly and the filter is not damaged, it should not cause any harm to the lungs.

3. Are there any potential risks associated with using facial masks with MB filter fibers?

There are no known risks associated with using facial masks with MB filter fibers. However, it is important to make sure that the mask fits properly and that the filter is not damaged or worn out. Using a mask with a damaged filter could potentially expose the lungs to harmful particles.

4. Can the use of MB filter fibers in facial masks cause respiratory problems?

There is no evidence to suggest that the use of MB filter fibers in facial masks can cause respiratory problems. In fact, these filters are designed to help protect the respiratory system from harmful particles. However, if the mask is not worn properly or the filter is damaged, it could potentially lead to respiratory issues.

5. Are there any alternatives to using MB filter fibers in facial masks?

Yes, there are alternatives to using MB filter fibers in facial masks. Some masks use other types of filters, such as activated carbon or electrostatic filters, to achieve similar levels of filtration. However, MB filter fibers are commonly used because they are effective and affordable. It is important to choose a mask with a filter that has been tested and approved for use in facial masks.

Back