Probability of drawing two married couples

by turutk
Tags: couples, drawing, married, probability
Share this thread:
turutk
Feb8-11, 10:08 AM
P: 15
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Names of 8 people (4 married couples) are written down to equally sized papers. Two carbilds are drawn. What is the probability of drawing a married couple? (it is not specified if the cards were drawn at the same time or one-by-one)

2. Relevant equations

na

3. The attempt at a solution

So the probability of drawing a woman is 4/8 the probability of drawing her husband is 1/7 when multiplied the result is 1/14 but the correct answer is 1/7. (non combination solution would be better)
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Suddenly, the sun is eerily quiet: Where did the sunspots go?
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Mammoth and mastodon behavior was less roam, more stay at home
tiny-tim
Feb8-11, 10:40 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,160
hi turutk!
Quote Quote by turutk View Post
So the probability of drawing a woman is 4/8
why does it have to be a woman?
turutk
Feb8-11, 01:09 PM
i thought it wouldn't matter but now i think that i need to multiply 1/12 by 2.

also i got the solution. 4 married couples could be drawn. a total of 8C2 can be drawn. 4/8C2 = 1/7

thanks for your answer

HallsofIvy
Feb9-11, 09:23 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,292
Probability of drawing two married couples

Yes, it does matter. Actually, you question is a little ambiguous. Do you put all 8 names in the same container so you might draw two men or two women, or do you draw men and women separately? Drawing "one by one" or "both at the same time" does NOT matter.

Assuming all 8 are put into a single container, you draw one name. Now, there are seven names left and exactly one of those is the first person's spouse. What is the probability of that spouse being drawn?

If all four men are put into one container and all four women in another, it's slightly different. You draw a person from one container (whether it is a man or a woman doesn't matter). Now there are four people left in the other container and one of them is the first person's spouse. What is the probabilty now?
turutk
Feb9-11, 02:51 PM
names of 8 people are put into a box and 2 cards are drawn. so it can be woman-woman, woman-man, man-woman, man-man

Register to reply