Winning the Weekly Sports Club Draw

• Thread starter icystrike
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sports
In summary: The probability is now (10/(15-10)), because the first number is more likely to be chosen than the second.
icystrike

Homework Statement

23 One fund-raising activity of a particular sports club is a weekly draw. Participants choose two different numbers between 1 and 15 inclusive. When the draw is made, two numbers between 1 and 15 inclusive are selected at random. The prize money is shared by anyone who has chosen these two numbers. If there are no winners, the prize fund rolls over to the following week. When last week's winning numbers were announced as 3 and 10, someone pointed out that it was the fifth successive week that the two numbers consisted of a total of three digits, all different. What is the probability that when two different numbers between 1 and 15 inclusive are selected at random they will consist of three digits all different?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I had attempted the questions with two different methods

First method:
There are 10C2 = 105 ways to choose two number for 1 to 15.
There are 8+ 7 x 4 = 36 ways to of choosing two numbers that fulfill the stated condition.
Therefore, the probability is 36/105= 12/35

Second method:
To choose the set of numbers to fulfill the stated condition;
One of the number needs to be double digits (10,11, ... ,15) excluding 11

Therefore, if the first number is:

10 it can be paired with 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
the probability will then be 1/15 x 8/14

12 it can be paired with 3,4,5,6,7,8,9
the probability will then be 1/15 x 7/14

13 it can be paired with 2,4,5,6,7,8,9

14 it can be paired with 2,3,5,6,7,8,9

15 it can be paired with 2,3,4,6,7,8,9

By summing all the probability:
(1/15)(1/14)(8+7x4) = 36/210 = 6/35

I know that my second solution is incorrect, but can someone kindly explain to me what is the error in it?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
icystrike said:

Homework Statement

23 One fund-raising activity of a particular sports club is a weekly draw. Participants choose two different numbers between 1 and 15 inclusive. When the draw is made, two numbers between 1 and 15 inclusive are selected at random. The prize money is shared by anyone who has chosen these two numbers. If there are no winners, the prize fund rolls over to the following week. When last week's winning numbers were announced as 3 and 10, someone pointed out that it was the fifth successive week that the two numbers consisted of a total of three digits, all different. What is the probability that when two different numbers between 1 and 15 inclusive are selected at random they will consist of three digits all different?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I had attempted the questions with two different methods

First method:
There are 10C2 = 105 ways to choose two number for 1 to 15.
There are 8+ 7 x 4 = 36 ways to of choosing two numbers that fulfill the stated condition.
Therefore, the probability is 36/105= 12/35

Second method:
To choose the set of numbers to fulfill the stated condition;
One of the number needs to be double digits (10,11, ... ,15) excluding 11

Therefore, if the first number is:

10 it can be paired with 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
the probability will then be 1/15 x 8/14

12 it can be paired with 3,4,5,6,7,8,9

13 it can be paired with 2,4,5,6,7,8,9

14 it can be paired with 2,3,5,6,7,8,9

15 it can be paired with 2,3,4,6,7,8,9

By summing all the probability:
(1/15)(1/14)(8+7x4) = 36/210 = 6/105

I know that my second solution is incorrect, but can someone kindly explain to me what is the error in it?

(36)/(15*14) = 6/35.

Ray Vickson said:
(36)/(15*14) = 6/35.
My apologies, my answer is still incorrect and different from that of method one.

icystrike said:
My apologies, my answer is still incorrect and different from that of method one.
The discrepancy is a factor of 2. This should suggest you are double counting or half counting something. And you are.
What is the probability that a particular pair of numbers is chosen? In your second method, what have you taken the probability of the pair (10, 2) to be?

icystrike said:

In such cases I often like to fall back on construction of an appropriate sample space. Typically, in such problems, the number-choosing mechanism is sequential. Perhaps a local celebrity reaches into a barrel and extracts a numbered ticket, then reaches in for another ticket; perhaps some numbered balls are spun around in a cage and then drop one-by-one into a bin; or perhaps you are writing a Monte-Carlo simulation model of the process to run on a computer. In all these cases it makes sense to regard the sample space as the set of pairs like (i,j), 1 <= i,j <= 15, i ≠ j. So, the ordered pairs (10,7) and (7,10) both occur in the sample space, but the order is ignored when tallying up the outcome. However, having both possibilities affects the probability of the pair {10,7}.

Related to Winning the Weekly Sports Club Draw

1. What is the probability of winning the weekly sports club draw?

The probability of winning the weekly sports club draw depends on the number of participants and the number of entries each participant has. The more entries you have, the higher your chances of winning.

2. How do I enter the weekly sports club draw?

To enter the weekly sports club draw, you must be a member of the sports club and purchase a ticket for the draw. The entry fee may vary depending on the club's rules and regulations.

3. Can I increase my chances of winning by purchasing multiple tickets?

Yes, purchasing multiple tickets will increase your chances of winning. However, keep in mind that the probability of winning is still dependent on the total number of entries in the draw.

4. What are the prizes for winning the weekly sports club draw?

The prizes for winning the weekly sports club draw may vary depending on the club's rules and regulations. It can range from cash prizes to gift cards or other types of rewards.

5. How are winners selected for the weekly sports club draw?

The winners for the weekly sports club draw are selected at random using a computerized or manual selection process. The club's officials ensure that the selection process is fair and unbiased.