How to read a joint discrete table?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the probability of a married couple having a specific combination of sons and daughters, given a group of 100 couples. The confusion arises from the subscripts used to represent the number of boys and girls, with the correct solution being that X1 represents the number of girls and X2 represents the number of boys. The power point from the professor may have contained a typo, leading to the confusion in the question.
JackLee

Homework Statement

[/B]
Given a group of 100 married couples, let X1 be the number of sons and X2 the number of daughters the couple has.
upload_2018-12-19_4-44-6.png

P(X1 = 0, X2 = 2) = f(0, 2) = 8 /100 = 0.08

2. Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to look for a similar example online, I found this one:
upload_2018-12-19_4-46-45.png

for this one, there is 1 female and 37 male in math department and the table is making sense.

But for the first table, I am assuming the subscripts 0,1,2 are the number of boys/girls.
So I read the first column as: there are 6 married couple that have 0 boy and 0 girl, there are 15 couples with 0 boy and 2 girls. So P(X1 = 0, X2 = 2) = f(0, 2) should = 15/100, which is different from the given solution. Or was it a typo that X1 was meant to be the number of girls? then f(0, 2) = 8 /100 would makes sense.

I am so confused, please help

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-19_4-44-6.png
    upload_2018-12-19_4-44-6.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 745
  • upload_2018-12-19_4-46-45.png
    upload_2018-12-19_4-46-45.png
    3.7 KB · Views: 429
Physics news on Phys.org
Your answer is correct, based on how you wrote the question. I suspect they just wrote the question wrong, and meant X1 to be the number of girls and X2 the number of boys.

Likes JackLee
andrewkirk said:
Your answer is correct, based on how you wrote the question. I suspect they just wrote the question wrong, and meant X1 to be the number of girls and X2 the number of boys.
Thank you! yeah it's from my professor's power point, I think power points are prone to typos..I should have known better

1. What is a joint discrete table?

A joint discrete table is a statistical table that displays the frequency of a specific event occurring for two or more variables. It is used to analyze the relationship between the variables and identify patterns and trends.

2. How do I read a joint discrete table?

To read a joint discrete table, start by identifying the variables listed in the table, usually labeled as rows and columns. Then, locate the intersection of the row and column for the event you are interested in. The number in this cell represents the frequency of that event occurring for the two variables.

3. What is the difference between a joint discrete table and a contingency table?

A joint discrete table and a contingency table are often used interchangeably, but they have a slight difference. A joint discrete table displays the frequency of a specific event occurring for two or more variables, while a contingency table also includes the total frequency for each variable.

4. How can I use a joint discrete table in my research?

A joint discrete table can be used in various ways in research. It can help identify the relationship between variables, measure the strength of the relationship, and determine the probability of an event occurring for specific values of the variables.

5. Are there any limitations to using a joint discrete table?

Yes, there are a few limitations to using a joint discrete table. It assumes that the variables are independent, and the data is collected without any bias. It also cannot determine causation, only correlation between variables. Additionally, if the sample size is small, it may not be representative of the larger population.